Railroad Forums 

• Britrail

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#483851  by cynthialibis

Hello, just wondering, I’m thinking of taking advantage of the upcoming holidays to do the family/friends visits around UK (am a teacher – lucky enough to have a long break!) – What would be the most economical way for me to do this? My husband’s opted out and so there’s no car for me. I hear a lot of buzz about cheap flights but they never seem to be going where I want when I want (and also I have left it far to late to take advantage of early bird deals) so I’m guessing I’ll be doing it by train. A friend’s recommended I get myself a British Rail Pass to keep the flexibility in my plans…can’t find anything better to be honest – other ideas before I go buy?

#483894  by David Benton

The pass is a good way to go , i presume its accepted by all operators there now .
There is good public transport in most cities , or the railway station is centrally located .
 #492224  by george matthews

cynthialibis wrote:Hello, just wondering, I’m thinking of taking advantage of the upcoming holidays to do the family/friends visits around UK (am a teacher – lucky enough to have a long break!) – What would be the most economical way for me to do this? My husband’s opted out and so there’s no car for me. I hear a lot of buzz about cheap flights but they never seem to be going where I want when I want (and also I have left it far to late to take advantage of early bird deals) so I’m guessing I’ll be doing it by train. A friend’s recommended I get myself a British Rail Pass to keep the flexibility in my plans…can’t find anything better to be honest – other ideas before I go buy?
I had one 21 years ago. I bought it in Saudi and travelled round the country for two weeks.
I started at Bournemouth, then stayed in Eastbourne (B&B) after travelling along the south coast. Then I took a cross London train (doesn't run now) to Birmingham, and changed for Carlisle to visit friends there. After a couple of days I took a train from Carlisle to Glasgow (in fact to Stirling) and the sleeper to Inverness. (I went to Edinburgh, found the sleeper from there was full but there was space from Glasgow so travelled across to Glasgow to catch it there. (Those sleepers no longer run). From Inverness I went to Thurso, hired a car and went along the north coast to Cape Wrath staying in two B&Bs. Back to Thurso, down to Inverness and then a sleeper to Edinburgh. Edinburgh to Carlisle viw Newcastle. I stayed one night in Carlisle. Next day the Settle and Carlisle to Leeds and then down to London and Bournemouth. I went home and washed my clothes. Then Poole to Truro. Next day to Falmouth, Penzance for Lands End and St Ives and the sleeper to London, followed by a train to Swansea and then the Central Wales line to Shrewsbury and Machynlleth. Next day down to Aberystwith and the Devils bridge line (no longer part of the National network). Then back home via Birmingham, Oxford and Reading. Good value I think.
I visited John o'Groats and Lands End in the same week.
As far as I know the ticket is still valid on most routes, except Eurostar, despite the accursed privatisation - may John Major be cursed.