Railroad Forums 

• Whats Your Favorite Spot?

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#15631  by Conrail Cleveland East

Exactly where are you talking about??
We're talking about the Ambest auto/truck stop off the New York State Thruway(I-90 exit B3),in Canaan,NY.The CSX right-of-way is a stones throw away from the parking lot.
I'm trying to figure out where this "mobile chapel" is.

#15714  by EdM

we are talking about the same place.. I found it on a map. I just did not know exactly where the tracks were as they are not visable from rt22., now I do. Thanks, Ed

#16987  by CSX Conductor

"The Mobile Chapel" is parked parallel to the track, facing east. Behind what I believe is a diner or restaraunt.

#16996  by CSX Conductor

Ok fellas, since I was getting the feeling that you thought I was making-up "The Mobile Chapel", I did a Google search for Mobile Chapel Canaan NY............. and here is a link>>>>>

http://www.transportforchrist.org/chapels/

#18386  by shortlinerailroader

New Orleans: CSX, NS, CN/IC, UP, BNSF, KCS, Amtrak (City of New Orleans, Crescent, Sunset Limited). Also, see and ride the (new) Canal Street, St. Charles Street and Riverwalk streetcar lines. As for smaller operations check out New Orleans Lower Coast (complete with street running) and New Orleans Public Belt (owner of the massive Huey P. Long Bridge). Top it off with a dinner of stuffed boar chops and Bananas Foster for dessert at Brennan's, and you have had a wonderful rail AND culinary experience. Don't forget French Quarter music and bignets at Cafe Du Monde.

#19119  by Semaphore Sam

Visiting Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so I figured I'd check out Tower 55 area in FWorth. Most amazing spot I've ever seen! Always, there were trains waiting to cross; at one time there were 5 South-to-North trains waiting. When one clears (15 MP MPH max), another is cleared to cross. The Texas-Pacific train station is now used for the FW/Dallas local service, after having been closed in 1967; it looks like upper stories were used as a hotel, and have been abandoned many years, yet curtains remain in the windows. Next to the T-P station is a Post Office, again built in the '30's, looking more like a palace than a public building. Further down is an abaondoned warehouse, which I suspect is of T-P origin, but not sure, but worth a visit. The real interest, though, lies in the constant, non-stop flow of traffic over the crossing. I had heard that Tower 55 is no longer operational; but it seemed like someone was indeed upstairs, whether on-duty, or caretaking, I couldn't surmise. It appears 50/50, UP/BNSF trains from what I could see. Can anyone tell me if the Tower is still operational? Thanks, SS.
 #19557  by EdM

can't miss it... went over there about a week or so ago.. great place for parking, but the detector was quiet until finally three ore cars went by, I was able to catch up with them (was going that way anyway) at the junction of 296 & 66... SOP fer the only guy who went to the T'pi loop and saw empty track... sigh.. Ed

#19757  by ACLfan

Another "mobile chapel" is located in the parking lot of a big truck stop across U.S. 301 from CSX's Baldwin Yard in Baldwin, FL (located at the interchange of I-10 and U.S. 301 on the west side of Jacksonville, FL).

ACLfan

#19759  by Conrail Cleveland East

I didn't know that Canaan had something like that(mobile chapel).
When i'm back up in the area on business,i'll make sure that i stop
there and see it.

#20173  by CSX Conductor

first time noticed it was while headin west on a van train from Boston to Selkirk.....the big cross on the wind visor above the cab of tractor caught my eye

#21255  by Railjunkie

The old state road bridge just east of Countyline RD on the selkirk sub. With a good scanner you can hear the Voorheesville and South Schenectady draggers. Plus there are 2 automatic signals at the crossing. Lots of CSX no amtrak

I to have seen the Mobile Chaple at the truck stop. It has moved from there time to time. Never see anyone going into or out of the trailer.

#25276  by AEM7Fan

Mine's gotta be the Newport, PA area on the NS line. In one spot, trains move at a fast pace and signals are positioned to tell you if a train is coming. Plus, you gotta love the occasional Amtrak Pennsylvanian or Three Rivers! :D

#27034  by MetraF40C607

Gary, Indiana. 3 mainlines go by. The CSX Chicago line out of Barr Yard, the x-PRR/NYC NS line out of Whiting, Indiana, and the EJ&E Eastern Subdivision. If you are really lucky, you can get up to 9 trains at one time. The EJ&E has a connector track to the CSX, and the EJ&E has an interchange yard with the NS, and the EJ&E has a branch line to Whiting, Indiana (The Lake Line). All of the mainlines are double track. The branches and connectors are single. Everything goes by. NS, CSX, EJ&E, BNSF, UP, CP, IHB, CSS&SB, and railroad predicessors like Soo Line, Conrail, BN, and SF. Amtrak also hammers away all day on the NS with trains running mostly in the morning and early evening. I have been caught in situations where more than one train are heading in the same direction at the same time on both the CSX and NS along with trains heading in separate directions but are comming at about the same rate. It can be verey intense. Whats even better is that it is an easy to access spot and every train by blows for N. Clark Rd. The police never hassle you but watch over you. Best spot in the Chicago area.
 #27366  by 2nd trick op

Some favorites accumulated over 40 years:

NS (former PRR/PC Middle Division) - Lewistown to Tyrone, Penna
Holiday Inn (B&O/CSX) - Cumberland, Md.
D&H/NS/CP- Oneonta, N Y
NYC/PC/CR/CSX- DeWitt Yard - Syracuse, N Y
ACL/SCL/CSX - Collier Yard, Petersburg, Va.
NS/CSX - Ashtabula, Ohio
BN(SF) - Seminary Street - Galesburg, Ill.
CNW/IC/UP - Iowa Falls, Iowa
CNW/UP Missouri River Bridge - Blair, Nebr.
Amtrak Station - San Bernardino, Calif.