Railroad Forums 

• Domes in Service

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#308040  by Engineer James

but, how much is it to replace? I mean can't you get a Car Foundry to make a new part or even a dome?

MODERATOR'S NOTE

The broader discussion of dome cars (away from Amtrak 10031), while exciting to me (my pre-Amtrak rides were in UP Domeliners!), is off-topic. I am splitting the thread; those related to the broader discussion of domes will go to Mr Benton's Rail Travel and Trip Reports Forum.

John Perkowski
Oct 21, 930AM CDT

#308364  by wigwagfan

Engineer James wrote:but, how much is it to replace? I mean can't you get a Car Foundry to make a new part or even a dome?
I would imagine that Colorado Railcar would be able/capable of building such a new car, however there would be a price to pay.

Ultimately this is an oddball in Amtrak's fleet, and an oddball with very little utility for it other than for the occassional special train or to be used with the "suits and ties" folks to bring their "dog and pony show" to launch a new train or to prove that they know what a train is. I've been in the car once, and it was a part of a static display for the Great Station Foundation a few years ago. Nice car, not very useful.

#308454  by Gilbert B Norman

I concur with both Messrs. AMTK1007 and Halstead-that the car will become part of the 'Execufleet". After all, it was renumbered into the 10xxx (company service) and away from the 9xxx (domes).

But pleased to learn that occasional sightings of this car can be had even by those of us in the Midwest who simply have no reason to travel to the West Coast.

#308470  by AMTK1007

Consist of Amtrak Special Carbondale to Chicago.

AMTK 66
AMTK 98
AMTK 54524
AMTK 54565
AMTK 10031
AMTK 48196
AMTK 10001

Also confirmed on the St Louis to Chicago extra by the conductor on the train, and photographs in the Bloomington Normal Pantograph

The car does have a certain level of utitliy that the Beech Grove does not.. Seating in the Beech Grove is limited and best used for small meetings. The Full Dome allows for the hosting of larger groups, and the Galley in the dome is also more suitable for that as well.. those 2 cars make a good pair. I got to experience both on the 75th Anniversary Empire Builder, and I must say that it worked well..

As people have mentioned, Spares tend to be a problem, but, while the 10031 is the only one left on Amtrak's roster, it is not the only one left running, therefore parts are still available, at least for a while longer.

#308543  by Engineer James

Ok, so what other domes are in service? Would AMTK 100031 be parked with Beech Grove at Washington Union? oe in the Coach yard like all the others? also any pics of her in recent service?

#308561  by Gilbert B Norman

Engineer James wrote:Ok, so what other domes are in service? Would AMTK 10031 be parked with Beech Grove at Washington Union? or in the Coach yard like all the others? also any pics of her in recent service?
James, there are private and Class I operators of same styled Budd Domes as 10031. BNSF has several in their "executrain" fleet, and possibly so does UP (C&NW had one for their executrain; presumably it was conveyed to UP) I'm not sure if Carnival's Holland America Line brand still operates same in Alaska, but I'm willing to bet those cars have not been scrapped.

Private operators also have an array of Dome cars; but any of these I'm aware of seem to be the 'short" genre.

Lastly, here is a site maintained by one of our members with all the photos (OK, pics to you younger members) you will ever want of domes:

http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/WebLurkersDOMEmain

AMTK 10031
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#308698  by wigwagfan

It appears that UP owns EIGHT dome cars (two coaches, three diners, and three lounges) for their business car fleet.

BNSF appears to own two full-dome cars, one of which has one end converted to a "theater" observation end (in other words, a big panel of plate glass, and no vestibule or other means of passing through that end of the car.)

And of course there are other dome cars in private ownership, and certainly in use in Alaska and on VIA Rail Canada. But, as for Amtrak is concerned, it is a one-of-a-kind car, that shares little if any parts commonality with any other Amtrak equipment.

#308717  by pennsy

Hi All,

I understand that the Alaska RR has full domes, including some Super Domes, and there is a company that makes them for the Alaska RR. So brand new full domes, super domes are available for purchase. How many would you like ?

#308772  by wigwagfan

pennsy wrote:there is a company that makes them for the Alaska RR.
Read about six posts prior to yours.

The company is Colorado Railcar, and they don't build dome cars in the sense that Budd did (although they probably could if you paid them enough); they do build bi-level cars with wrap-around windows (similar to the Sightseer Lounge, but generally for a more "upscale" clientele than Amtrak), as well as "single-level domes" which are basically single-level cars with the same wrap-around windows.

#308881  by John_Perkowski

The American Association of Private Rail Car Ownerslists 10 domes available for charter right now. These do not include the domes in service with American Orient Express.

Of them:

2 are Budd products built for Burlington's Zephyrs.
2 are Budd products built for the Empire Builder.
1 is a Budd product built for the North Coast Limited.
3 are ACF products built for the Union Pacific Cities trains.
1 is a P-S product built for the Milwaukee Road, and IIRC is part of the same equipment set as MILW 4-8-4 261. This car came from NC DOT serivce, and is the only full dome in charter service right now.

John Perkowski

#309017  by David Benton

Am i right that it is stil possible to ride in a dome car in Canada .
I did enjoy doing so on the canadian some 20 years ago now .

#309156  by GeorgeF

David Benton wrote:Am i right that it is stil possible to ride in a dome car in Canada .
I did enjoy doing so on the canadian some 20 years ago now .
Sure can! See VIA Rail site here, and for coach passengers, here.