• Passenger service question

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

by curmudgeon

Hi all -

I know nothing of this aspect of railroading beyond a few train names, and have been trying to find (so far unsuccessfully) the consist of a particular train - SP's late-'40s/early'50s steam "Sacramento Daylight".
My search has prompted a very general question:

Is/was a passenger train's consist ever consistent??

I understand that cars would be added for seasonal traffic, additional/special sections run, various cars dead-headed in, special-handling cars (milk, eggs, newspapers etc.) run in some, and cars added/removed during a train's life. Mebbe other variations I haven't happened upon.
It even changed DURING a single run!!

So is/was there any consistency - was there a "basic" consist w/variations, perhaps consistent actually for only short periods, never truly consistent, some trains "yes" & some "no", or what?

I'm really confused here.:-D

TIA.

regards,

Terry

by AmtrakFan

In the 60's it had this
1 GP9
1 Baggage-Coach
1 Coach

by curmudgeon

Hi John -

Thanks for your kind input.
I've seen pix of the '60s train and it was cut back to almost nothing by then.
I have a pic of it, from the early '50s, waiting for it's cars from the "San Joaquin Daylight", and having 6 headcars already.

I want to find out what was added, but also (thus my question here) if it 's historically POSSIBLE to be *accurate*, other than mebbe on one given day. :-)

regards,

Terry

by AmtrakFan

curmudgeon wrote:Hi John -

Thanks for your kind input.
I've seen pix of the '60s train and it was cut back to almost nothing by then.
I have a pic of it, from the early '50s, waiting for it's cars from the "San Joaquin Daylight", and having 6 headcars already.

I want to find out what was added, but also (thus my question here) if it 's historically POSSIBLE to be *accurate*, other than mebbe on one given day. :-)

regards,

Terry
I would try to SP Historical Society see if they have any info.