Railroad Forums 

• Panama Canal Railway

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1039171  by charding

My wife and I just came back from two weeks in Panama - a great trip - ecotourism, rainforests, the Canal, and the transcontinental Panama Canal Railway. It was a great train ride - we rode in the dome car. Got a whole new perspective of the Canal. Also, a very busy railway carrying containers back and forth between Colon and Panama City. The KCS has done a great job in upgrading the railway - they obviously saw a great business opportunity in the container trade - and it was a pleasure to ride. Would strongly recommend that anyone going to Panama make time to ride the railway - it is about a one hour ride. Colin Harding, Fairfax Station, VA
 #1233015  by charding

...check out the January 2014 edition of Trains Magazine - great article on the Panama Canal Railroad...
 #1263974  by deathtopumpkins

I was just checking out the Panama Canal Railway on Google Maps and in whatever pictures I could find, and am curious about something - was it ever electrified? I can see along most of the line what look like catenary structures (example), and while they're clearly devoid of overhead wires now, it seems like it would have been odd for the railroad to ever build them solely to carry transmission lines on the right of way.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight.