Railroad Forums 

• What makes up the KCS?

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#179050  by union21

For being the smallest Class 1 in the US; this railroad seems to be doing OK. What smaller RR's were put into KCS to make it the RR it is today? Both here in the U.S. and internationaly.

#179677  by doepack

The November issue of trains has a profile of today's "Meridian Speedway" line between Meridian MS, and Shreveport. This route was originally owned and operated by the Illinois Central, and a portion of the route was also operated for a brief time by Midsouth rail, before KCS acquired it in 1994. For a more complete answer, I suggest getting a copy of an issue of Trains magazine from a couple of years ago (not sure of the precise issue) which contained a feature called "Merger Family Trees"; showing all of the predecessor railroads that currently make up today's remaining Class 1 systems.
Last edited by doepack on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#197264  by Tadman

THe current system has the following in it:
KCS
Texas Mexican
Mid-south (former IC/GM&O)
TFM rail (former NdeM) (49% owned by TFM shipping)
Panama Canal
 #550871  by tomjohn

Am I correct or not about KCS being a successor to the old K.C.P. & G. RR (KANSAS CITY PITTSBURGH AND GULF RR)
back in the 1800's ...

Tom
 #551843  by Otto Vondrak

The core KCS system remained essentially the same until the 1990s, when the purchase of the MidSouth Rail Corporation extended KCS's reach eastward from Shreveport and into Mississippi and Alabama. This acquisition, combined with existing KCS routes, created a key east-west mainline marketed as the Meridian Speedway (named for the town of Meridian, Mississippi). An additional acquisition, the Gateway Western Railway, extended KCS's reach from Kansas City to St. Louis, Missouri, and to Springfield, Illinois. The 1990s also saw KCS extend its reach into Mexico, with the acquisition of partial interests in the Texas Mexican Railway and Grupo Transportación Ferroviaria Mexicana. In 2005, KCS was successful in acquiring a controlling interest in both roads.
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_Cit ... rn_Railway
 #590107  by GulfRail

Let's see:
Kansas City, Pittsburg & Gulf
Louisiana & Arkansas
Ferrocarriles Nacionales de México
Transportacion Ferroviaria Mexicana
Mobile & Ohio
Gulf, Mobile & Northern
Illinois Central/Illinois Central Gulf
MidSouth
Corinth & Counce
Texas Mexican

And those are all the railroads I can think of, anybody know of more?
 #674568  by jobtraklite

You've got GM&n, M&O, and ICG, but missed GM&O in between.

My father worked for the M&O in St. Louis, moved to Mobile with GM&N - M&O merger, and retired about the time the ICG came into being (along with the destruction of most of the former GM&O).
 #767195  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

KCS is unique in that it is one of the only major North-South railroads in the country. They've got themselves a good niche right in the middle of the country. I don't see them going anywhere soon.
 #786669  by Mr.S

Yes, I know this is late in coming,here's a email to the question what makes up the KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN RR .

Thank you for your inquiry to Kansas City Southern Historical Society, Inc. via our web site.
If you will go to the KCS system map at http://www.kcsouthern.com/en-us/KCS/Doc ... map[1].pdf and zoom in on Mississippi, I can give you some explanation.

First, the Meridian-Corinth line with its short branch Artesia-Columbus have Mobile & Ohio heritage.

Second, the line from Newton to that sharp corner north of Louisville with its short branch to Sebastopol have Gulf, Mobile & Northern heritage.

These two companies merged in 1940 to form Gulf, Mobile & Ohio (GM&O).

In 1972, Illinois Central (IC) acquired GM&O, and changed the name of the combination to Illinois Central Gulf (ICG). After divesting itself of most former GM&O lines, ICG reverted back to the IC name in 1988.

The current KCS lines with original IC (pre-ICG) heritage are these: the line from the sharp corner north of Louisville to Aberdeen; the line from Palmer to Gulfport with its branch to Delisle; and the highly important line from Meridian westward all the way to Shreveport, Louisiana.

Now, zoom the KCS system map to Missouri. The line eastward from Kansas City to various Illinois points was also part of GM&O, which acquired it in the form of the Alton Railroad in 1947.

I hope that this has been helpful.

Lowell G. McManus
Eagle Pass, Texas, USA
for the KCSHS web site

Also here's what makes up The KSANAS CITY SOUTHERN Railroad as we know it today..

TFM
PCRC
L&A
Midsouth
GWWR
TM
KCP&G

Quote of the day: Never go to sleep at night with out learning anything that day..