Railroad Forums 

• AAPRCO May 2014 Special Train on KCS

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1244536  by jhdeasy

The American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners (AAPRCO) is planning an Amtrak special train operating New Orleans - Monroe - Meridian - Gulfport - New Orleans, on May 20-25, 2014. The route will include mileage on KCS from Monroe to Meridian on May 20, and mileage on KCS from Hattiesburg to Gulfport on May 22. Several private car owners are offering space onboard their car(s) for the trip.

http://www.aaprco.com/Travel_Opportunit ... tings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1270608  by jhdeasy

Due to CSX's refusal to operate the Amtrak-AAPRCO special train on their direct route from Gulfport to New Orleans on Sunday, May 25, the special train will depart Gulfport on Sunday morning and head north on KCS to Hattiesburg, interchange to NS via CN, then head southwest on NS from Hattiesburg to New Orleans.

I'm sure the rare mileage enthusiasts feel some disappointment at not getting to ride the former L&N from Gulfport to New Orleans, but now they will get the mileage between Gulfport and Hattiesburg in both directions. I know at least one "mileage collector" who marks his railroad maps with a different color when he rides the line in both directions, rather than in only one direction.

I understand the consist will be two Amtrak locomotives and 12 private cars, with at least two dome cars.