From "Fallen Flags" To Municipalities, Buildings, Light Rail Lines

This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

Gilbert B Norman

From "Fallen Flags" To Municipalities, Buildings, Light Rail Lines

Post by Gilbert B Norman » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:27 am

Progressive Railroading wrote:DART estimates the coThe 26-mile Cotton Belt commuter-rail line will extend between Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Shiloh Road Station in Plano, and will connect to three existing DART light-rail lines. The agency anticipates the design-build project will be completed by 2022......The Cotton Belt line will connect to DART's existing Orange, Green and Red lines, as well as to Trinity Metro's TEXRail, a 27-mile regional commuter line between DFW Airport and downtown Fort Worth.
"Haftasayluvit" how Texas recycles the names of their "Fallen Flag" railroads. There is a city near Houston named Katy and another in the DFW area named Frisco. Further, in Dallas, I noted an older "recycled" building with "Missouri Kansas Texas - Texas" still emblazoned in Gold Leaf on its front.

And now, the Cotton Belt becomes a DART rail line

Wonder how much in royalties are paid to BNSF and UP for these "Fallen Flag" trademarks? I understand UP is aggressive in their enforcement of such.

2nd trick op

Re: From "Fallen Flags" To Municipalities, Buildings, Light Rail Lines

Post by 2nd trick op » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:23 pm

The term "Fallen Flags" is slowly expanding to other modes of transportation; I can recall a letter to the Editor of Trains calling attention to the presence of trailers both parent company Arkansas Best (ABF) and recently-acquired (at that time) Carolina Freight in a single intermodal consist. And there has, for about a year, been a Yahoo group called "Fallen Flags" -- honoring extinct trucking companies. One of my posts there calls attention to the role of DPM in coining the term.

There are probably a few parallels in the maritime and airline industries as well.
What a revoltin' development this is! (William Bendix)

Return to “General Discussion: Fallen Flags”