Railroad Forums 

• Train drivers pie stop holds up traffic .

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#265855  by David Benton

By Belinda Feek
TRAFFIC DELAYED: THE PIES are so good at The Big Bite they stop traffic.

Motorists crossing the Victoria Ave/London St railway crossing in Wanganui on Tuesday were held up for 20 minutes as the barrier arms came down and lights continued to flash. When the lights did stop and the barrier arms relieved themselves, cars proceeded to cross the track only for a train to appear out of nowhere.

One local resident, who was in the back of a taxi at the time, was forced to pay nearly double her normal fare after waiting for 20 minutes.

Another resident said he saw the train stop on Monday and Tuesday just before midday.

“They stopped at The Big Bite takeaway for lunch.”
While the man could see the humorous side, the lunch break did have consequences.

“There were cars backed up the hill toward Great North Rd … I was on a job and waiting for a truck to get through the intersection.”

Delving into its investigative side, the Chronicle decided to find out for itself if this train driver would stop and get his daily lunch at The Big Bite in London St.

Although he cruised on past and didn’t stop, staff at the bakery confirmed his regular visits.

Lunchbar assistant Janine Hart said she remembered the man coming in to buy his lunch on Monday and Tuesday.

“Yeah, I do remember him coming in. “He actually drove past yesterday, not sure what time, but he came back again. He must have done his job and then come back to get his lunch on the way back.”

Ms Hart believed the man to be from Palmerston North and was a regular visitor, but hadn’t stopped by in a while. As to whether the crossing’s bells could be heard from the shop, she confirmed they could be.

“You can hear them from the shop.”

And what was the man’s preferred tucker when he stopped by? “The pies, I think. They’re lovely. Everything is home made.”

Another London St resident said he watched the train driver stop outside the bakery just before 12.50 on Tuesday and not leave again until 1.03pm.

The traffic snarl-up at the intersection was a complete “shambles” and although he thought it was quite funny, it also had a serious side.

“If a fire engine or ambulance wanted to get through it would have been a no show and this guy is getting his lunch … It’s quite funny but it’s not on.”

It wasn’t fair the female taxi passenger had to pay double her fair because of the incident, he said.

Toll New Zealand communications manager Sue Foley said they were aware of the incident and were conducting an internal investigation.

“We’re very apologetic to any inconvenience caused.”

#265868  by george matthews

In the film "The Titfield Thunderbolt" the train is delayed while the driver shoots and retrieves a pheasant (poached) from the squire's land.

#265880  by David Benton

I'm sure its quite a common occurance , just in this case , he was fouling a road crossing . Not very considerate , considering it was probably quite a short train . Only one Loco .
I must say the standard of journalisim in the article is very low , making it hard to read .
Here's a link to the nz Heralds shorter but more coherent story .
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story ... d=10390039