Railroad Forums 

• Eritrea news

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#252573  by george matthews

http://www.railwaygazette.com/Articles/ ... ilway.html
Since 2000 a steady stream of railway tourist groups has been visiting Eritrea. The trip down the escarpment, with sheer drops below the trains, leaves many a visitor's heart in his mouth! But even with the magnificent views, 1929 Breda and 1939 Mallet steam locomotives, and 1938 Fiat diesel railcars, railway tourism cannot be the mainstay of the railway, although the foreign currency it generates is useful.

#252606  by David Benton

The little railway that could !
Fascinating stuff , and perhaps a showcase of what can be done , for other countires with former colonial railways .

#254159  by Sir Ray

The trip down the escarpment, with sheer drops below the trains, leaves many a visitor's heart in his mouth!
Hmm, I hope track maintainence is up to par :P

#254267  by David Benton

Well , Sir Ray ,adventure tourisim is big business these days ! Perhaps they could include a bungy jump off one of the viaducts .
 #254525  by george matthews

Komachi wrote:Impressive, yes.

Interesting to see how this develops over the coming years.
The article I quoted settles one problem that has been puzzling me for decades. Was there or was there not a connection from the Asmara railway to Sudan? It seems there was a military extension but it was pulled up.

Some former military railways in Africa became part of the permanent system, but not this one. (The Voi to Moshi line was built as a military line - quickly without proper surveying - but became part of the main line from Nairobi to Dar es Salaam.)