Railroad Forums 

• Korean rail link still not open

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#254947  by kiha40

Thomas,

I'd sure be interested in reading more information about that, either technical or historical. Any links?

Thanks!

#255082  by Thomas I

kiha40 wrote:Thomas,

I'd sure be interested in reading more information about that, either technical or historical. Any links?

Thanks!
I read this in a site about the shinkansen system. But actually dont remeber the link...- I have read that the Jpaanese experimented with fast trains in Korea and Mandshukuo. One part of these experiments was the express-train Ajia from 1934 between Dalian and Changchun. The chinese streamlined steam-locos classes SL7 and SL8 are from these experiments...
Pics: SL7: http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/noz/zh2/esl751.html (There exist also a better preserved one - the SL757)
SL8: http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/noz/zh2/esl851.html (Differently than there indicated the SL8 are from 1937 and not from 1912!)

As result of the studies and experiments, the JNR began the building of a high-speed line Tokyo - Osaka in September 1940.

The buildings carried out at that time were later integrated into the Shinkansen-line of 1964. So several tunnels on the present-day Shinkansen date to the war-era project.

Until 1940 was expropriated nearly all properties which were needed later for the line of 1964.

#255247  by kiha40

Niiiiice. Thinking about it now, I do recall reading about a steam powered train called a 'tama ressha' or something like that which was put on the back burner because of the war. Thanks!

#255348  by Thomas I

kiha40 wrote:Niiiiice. Thinking about it now, I do recall reading about a steam powered train called a 'tama ressha' or something like that which was put on the back burner because of the war. Thanks!
"dangan ressha" was the name of the whole project of a bullet-train network in whole japan, korea and the occupied aeras of China, Indochina and Malaya.
There were also plans to built a tunnel from Japan to Korea!
At the 1930s and 1940s Japan plans also steam-powered "shinkansen" trains with speeds up to 200km/h!

#255351  by kiha40

dangan... lol. Thanks to my undiagnosed, in-my-head dyslexia/crossed wires brain, I was sitting here thinking "renga ressha," but of course brick train doesn't make much sense, at least not for a high speed train. So I thought I'd just go for tama. I was close though; tama is 弾, which is the 'dan' in dangan 弾丸. Ah well. Thanks for the kanji lesson, heheh.