Railroad Forums 

• European railroads

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#225025  by NJTRailfan

Is it possible to take a train from Rome, Italy to florence and Venice and then on to Basil and Zurich in Switzerland without changing trains or if a change in nessessary is it within the same terminal?

Is it also possible to take a train from Italy to Austria or is it better to take a train to Switzerland and then from there go to Austria like Saltzberg and Vienna?

Reason why I ask is because when I get back to the states and I'm out of the Army I would like to see these three countries by train or is it better to fly some of the local airlines there like Swiss Airlines, Austrian or Alitlalia?

Thanks
 #225117  by george matthews

NJTRailfan wrote:Is it possible to take a train from Rome, Italy to florence and Venice and then on to Basil and Zurich in Switzerland without changing trains or if a change in nessessary is it within the same terminal?
Yes there are through trains.
Roma------- 19.07---- 22.25
Venezia ------- 00.43---- 05.55
Sorry about the formatting. I can't make it look right.

However, changing at Padova provides plenty of connections, and is better for a day journey. Trains are more frequent than hourly.
I assume you will spend time in Venezia. Remember you don't need to book in advance (Reservation) for most of these trains.
You can go from Venezia to Basel

Venezia ---- 17.44
Basel -----02.38
But you would do better to change at Milano for more convenient times.
For example:
Venezia ---- 10.00
Milano ------12.55
Milano ---08.10 ----13.10
Brig ------------- 15.24
Basel---- 13.10

If I were travelling through Switzerland I would want to take as many interesting routes as possible. For example I would take the metre gauge line from Interlaken to Luzern and then on to Basel. Change at Brig for Interlaken.
Is it also possible to take a train from Italy to Austria or is it better to take a train to Switzerland and then from there go to Austria like Saltzberg and Vienna?
Yes, you can take a train from Firenze or Bologna over the Brenner pass to Salzburg. If you are starting at Venezia, change at Verona. Change at Salzburg for Wien.
Reason why I ask is because when I get back to the states and I'm out of the Army I would like to see these three countries by train or is it better to fly some of the local airlines there like Swiss Airlines, Austrian or Alitlalia?

Thanks
#

There is no need to fly to any of these countries.[/quote]