Railroad Forums 

• Iraqi Railroad

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#225022  by NJTRailfan

Hello from Baghdad

I just want to know if anyone has any info on passenger rail service in Iraq. So far I've seen the Iraqi Train Terminal in Baghdad from a UH-60 Chopper and the rail yard leadign to it. Very few trainds around. Saw a work train or what appreared to be one but that was it. Does anyone have photos or any articles on the Iraqi Railroad and interiror pics of the Baghdad Train Terminal and where the tracks go to?

Thanks
 #225123  by george matthews

NJTRailfan wrote:Hello from Baghdad

I just want to know if anyone has any info on passenger rail service in Iraq. So far I've seen the Iraqi Train Terminal in Baghdad from a UH-60 Chopper and the rail yard leadign to it. Very few trainds around. Saw a work train or what appreared to be one but that was it. Does anyone have photos or any articles on the Iraqi Railroad and interiror pics of the Baghdad Train Terminal and where the tracks go to?

Thanks
I once took the train from Basra to Baghdad. I was teaching at the university in Basra and was supposed to fly to Baghdad. I insisted on taking the train and had an interesting trip. I saw the marshes and spent a whole day without seeing any pictures of Saddam.

I travelled in an East German carriage which had air conditioning. I was going first class and had several others in my compartment, none of whom spoke English. The Sheraton in Basra had provided me with a packed lunch so I never went to look for a dining car - in fact I never left the compartment.

However, that was the year before Saddam invaded Kuwait, and probably the last period in which the train operated "normally".

I did notice some steam locomotives near Baghdad - none of them working, but just parked.

The actual railway was not well maintained, though probably quite safe. There was a short section near the middle of the trip where some new work - double track and modern track and signalling - had been done. I suspect it was part of a general plan to upgrade the line, but it had never progressed.

Try google for more information. Soon after the invasion a few trains were moved, at least in the Basra area (British military engineers) but the rolling stock was in a very bad state after many years of sanctions and bombing.

I assume that the uprising is making it impossible to run trains now.

I took no pictures.

#225173  by David Benton

I think trains magazine had atrtivcles written by one of the USA advisors working in Iraq . And i think somewhere in this forum there is a thread on train trips taken relatively recently in Iraq .
Obviously the invasion has not helped , it seems it will be a long long time till thinga such as transport , power and water are sorted out .

#225317  by NJTRailfan

Thank you all for your information and especially to eorge Mahews who answered all of my posts in the International Forum. I do hope that while I'm here I can see the trains runnign alogn with the inside of the train station. I know the train station wasn't bombed during the war along with the Basra Station. I don't know how the others faired if there are train tracks and stations in Iraqi Cities like Tikrit, Fallujah, Kirkuk,etc I was hopign to get a map to see where these railroads ran to and if they re connected to other railroads in Syria and Iran. I heard Iran while not extensive as (let's say) India theres a system there thats better maintained then the Iraqi Railroad. Anyone has any pictures or links to the Trains Magazine Article?

Thank you all and to the person that changed my status to Veteran from Contributer.

#225349  by george matthews

NJTRailfan wrote:Thank you all for your information and especially to eorge Mahews who answered all of my posts in the International Forum. I do hope that while I'm here I can see the trains runnign alogn with the inside of the train station. I know the train station wasn't bombed during the war along with the Basra Station. I don't know how the others faired if there are train tracks and stations in Iraqi Cities like Tikrit, Fallujah, Kirkuk,etc I was hopign to get a map to see where these railroads ran to and if they re connected to other railroads in Syria and Iran. I heard Iran while not extensive as (let's say) India theres a system there thats better maintained then the Iraqi Railroad. Anyone has any pictures or links to the Trains Magazine Article?

Thank you all and to the person that changed my status to Veteran from Contributer.
Paul Theroux's book "The Great Railway \Bazaar" includes a description of rail journeys through Iran. If they build the last few miles to Pakistan there will be a continuous route from Europe to India (but with change of gauge at the Pakistan-Iran frontier).

Generally Iran has a good rail system that covers most parts of the country. Probably safer than air travel there, which is suffering from a lack of spare parts because of the US embargo.

#225812  by george matthews

NJTRailfan wrote:Thank you all for your information and especially to George Mahews who answered all of my posts in the International Forum. I do hope that while I'm here I can see the trains runnign alogn with the inside of the train station. I know the train station wasn't bombed during the war along with the Basra Station. I don't know how the others faired if there are train tracks and stations in Iraqi Cities like Tikrit, Fallujah, Kirkuk,etc I was hopign to get a map to see where these railroads ran to and if they re connected to other railroads in Syria and Iran. I heard Iran while not extensive as (let's say) India theres a system there thats better maintained then the Iraqi Railroad. Anyone has any pictures or links to the Trains Magazine Article?

The Thomas Cook Overseas Rail timetable book has a map of the Middle East rail lines including those in Iraq and Iran.

For Iraq it shows a network from Baghdad to Mawsil via Tikrit and on to the Syrian border. There was once a through train to Istanbul (Haydarpasa). There was another line to Halab in Syria via Habbaniya, Haqlaniya and Abu Kamal on the border with Syria. There was a branch to Kirkuk from Bajji.

There have been plans to continue from Basra to Kuwait, but I can't imagine any circumstances in which a line would be built.

During the second world war there was a link from the then narrow gauge Basra line to Abadan in Iran. It was used to supply the Soviet Union. During my time in Basra I was taken to see a bridge which had once carried this line across the river. In Basra I saw a number of obviously British colonial houses built for the Railway management, near the station.

In Iran there is a main line from Turkey through Tabriz (and a branch from Tabriz to Armenia in the former Soviet Union). The mainline goes on to Tehran. There are other lines to Abadan and Bandar Khomeini on the Gulf. A mainline leads from Tehran to Zahedan near the Pakistan border, but there is no connection with Pakistan yet. It was planned in the 1950s when Iran, Iraq and Pakistan were part of the anti-Soviet Baghdad Pact. The link may yet be built.

The other main line is from Tehran to Mashhad near the Afghan border. There may one day be an extension into Afghanistan to Herat. There is already an extension to Turkmenistan. The southeastern line has a branch to Bandar e Abbas on the Gulf.

I have travelled on part of the railway in Saudi (from Dammam to Hofuf) when I was working for Aramco.

There are always plans for an extensive network in Saudi, but they never get built.

#226114  by David Benton

My attempts to travel from Turkey to Pakistan were foiled by the Iranian's embassy in Ankara reluctance to accept my passport for a visa . They claimed it looked to old and had too many stamps ! ( id been travelling or about 4 years by that stage ).I would say one would need to spend a few months prior to leaving home , to get a visa . and Probably USA citizens can forget the idea entirley .
It sure would be an interesting trip though . I was very impressed with the Hospitable Nature of the Iranian people i met in Turkey .

#244253  by Jayjay1213

When I was in Iraq in 2003, they were running trains again by August.

#244385  by george matthews

Jayjay1213 wrote:When I was in Iraq in 2003, they were running trains again by August.
Where? On which lines? What kind of trains?

#244971  by Jayjay1213

They were frieght, and I saw them in the area of Nasiryah, and a bit north of there where they had some locomotive shops. Been a few years now, I cant remember the name of the town, and I dont have any of my old gear handy.

Jason

#244984  by David Benton

I think it is the lline to Basra , at htat in an area less violatile than others .I think Mr norman posted a trip report from a young man on here somewhere at the time . possibly form the seat69 website ???

#245101  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I think it is the line to Basra , at htat in an area less volatile than others. I think Mr norman posted a trip report from a young man on here somewhere at the time . possibly form the seat69 website ???
In the early days after the invasion British troops were involved with the railway in the Basra area - possibly to the port (Umm Qasr) they were opening up. However, since conditions deteriorated I wonder whether the railway is still functioning. I should think it very unlikely that there is any passenger service.

A railway is very vulnerable to guerrilla activity.
Last edited by george matthews on Tue May 30, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#250322  by SRS125

David Benton wrote:I think trains magazine had atrtivcles written by one of the USA advisors working in Iraq . And i think somewhere in this forum there is a thread on train trips taken relatively recently in Iraq .
Obviously the invasion has not helped , it seems it will be a long long time till thinga such as transport , power and water are sorted out .
Trains Magazine did in fact do a 5 or 6 page article on Iraqs Rail systems with full maps, locomotive types and builders, and several outher intresting facts. I do beleve that this article came out just after the first invation in the late 90's?