Railroad Forums 

• Hmmm, Central Railway of Britian?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#214833  by Sir Ray

OK, so while wandering around some Abandoned London Underground website (in particular, one page describing the erstwhile Brill Branch of the Metropolitan line), I came across mention of the Central Railway, which is a modern day plan to link Liverpool and Central England with the Conteniant via the Chunnel http://www.central-railway.co.uk/route.htm
Alas, that website is suffering from 'Living in the Past' syndrom (2004 latest news), so is there further info or has this idea been put on the Back Burner (or even worse, taken off the stove entirely and put in the fridge)?

#214878  by David Benton

there have been several proposals to build a "frieght line " up the centre of England . The reason been that the british mainlines are built to a smaller loading gauge than the european standard . ( but that is considered a large gauge in narrow gauge New Zealand , but i digress ) .
One i saw went all the way to Scotland , using the settle to carlisle line as part of its route . but sorry i dont have any news of recent events for you .
 #214884  by george matthews

Sir Ray wrote:OK, so while wandering around some Abandoned London Underground website (in particular, one page describing the erstwhile Brill Branch of the Metropolitan line), I came across mention of the Central Railway, which is a modern day plan to link Liverpool and Central England with the Conteniant via the Chunnel http://www.central-railway.co.uk/route.htm
Alas, that website is suffering from 'Living in the Past' syndrom (2004 latest news), so is there further info or has this idea been put on the Back Burner (or even worse, taken off the stove entirely and put in the fridge)?
Although the Central Railway people propose to raise all their capital themselves, it is necessary to get a Bill through Parliament, which means they need government support. Shamefully the government has refused support. Of course there would be some expense to Network Rail for building connections, so it is not entirely a standalone system. They will also need to acquire land around the M25 where the connection to the tunnel will pass, so there are considerable public implications in their plan. Parts of the route require use of lines at present belonging to Network Rail, especially in the section from the Tunnel terminal to the M25.

The government presumably is afraid they will be called to bail it out if it isn't as profitable as they hope - and really no-one can tell how much business they will attract.

As a Eurotunnel shareholder I think this proposal is essential for the long term health of the Tunnel. The proposers haven't given up but not much is happening at the moment.

It would allow full sized European freight trains to access the interior of Britain - at present they can't pass beyond the tunnel terminal in Folkestone. It would allow piggyback lorries to bypass some of the most congested motorways, especially the M1, M6, M25 and M20 and take them through to Dourges near Lille.

Some of the route they are proposing is that of the Great Central whose founder Sir Alfred Watkin, about 100 years ago, foresaw the Channel Tunnel and built his line to Continental loading gauge. Shortsighted policies in the 1950s closed it. Most of the trackbed is still available with very little building on it.
Even if the government allowed them parliamentary time it would take a long time to get going. There may well have to be public enquiries even if the Bill passes.

I would add: the map on Central Railway's site does not show the CTRL (Channel Tunnel Rail link, now operating between Folkestone, through Ashford and on to Fawkham junction). I have my doubts about whether their plans between Ashford and Folkestone are adequate. The CTRL was built with some freight in mind, though it is doubtful whether any will actually use it. It would have been better to build it with a four track layout to accommodate the Central Railway's trains - at least between Ashford and Folkestone.