Railroad Forums 

• Train crew surprised by home made jigger on tracks

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#213496  by David Benton

Train crew surprised by home made jigger on tracks

11.02.06 1.00pm

A freight train engine crew rounding a bend on the Napier-Gisborne rail line found three men riding a home-made jigger on the tracks.

The men leapt from the motorised jigger and ran off, leaving it on the line. The train ploughed into it, leaving it a mangled wreck but the beer the trio had on board in a chilly bin survived, the Dominion Post reported today.

The incident happened last week near Tutira, north of Napier, at a time when trains are not usually scheduled. The jigger was made from junk including car seats and a lawnmower engine.

"We can only wonder at the stupidity of people risking their lives in this way," an Ontrack Rail spokesman said.

"They were also breaking the law. If they can be traced, Ontrack will consider taking action against them."

- NZPA
 #213676  by Komachi

The news blurb mentioned...

"...but the beer the trio had on board in a chilly bin survived..."

Did anyone else find this mildly amusing? The homebuilt trackmobile made of scrap is more or less destroyed, yet the beer is untouched... AND STILL COLD!!!!!

Yet as a former Criminal Justice major in my university days (well, one of seven subjects I once studied at the university), I would think that if the local constabulary (police) wants to tie individuals to the vehicle/incident, then all they would need to do is gather forensic evidence (namely fingerprints) from said beer cans. Also, there are probably skin cells and hair fibres on the seats and more fingerprints on the vehicle that will tie people to the vehicle.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

#213713  by David Benton

yes , komachi , the whole thing is quite amusing . I don't think there'll be much forscenic evidence required . its a rural area , so the grapevine should provide some names .
I doubt the police will take it seriously enough to prosecute though .

#213721  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:yes , komachi , the whole thing is quite amusing . I don't think there'll be much forscenic evidence required . its a rural area , so the grapevine should provide some names .
I doubt the police will take it seriously enough to prosecute though .
What an old fashioned country. Here there would be questions of "Security".

It seems to be a sign that there are too few trains on that line.

#213829  by David Benton

There is less than dialy service on that line . It does run to a timetable , and it loks as though the train ran oon a day it doesnt usually run .
This line goes through difficult country , it is often hit by slips . Its holding on by the skin of its teeth , probably becsue the road aint much better , and the promise of forestry traffic in the future .
as for security , well , we're isolated , and "security " is not used as an excuse to unduly monitor the citizens .
This part of the country is known for rasta's , gang members , and dope growing , so its pretty wild .