• Railfanning in Europe

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by bar358

During May and June this year I will be on my last trainning crusie for school. This years ports of call will be Barcelona, Spain; Gdynia, Poland; and Cobh, Ireland in which I would like to do some local railfanning at. If anyone has any suggestions on where I might be able to find some information about railroads in these towns or what railroads operate in the area would be a big help.

Thanks,

Matthew Minson
Maine Maritime Academy
Castine, Maine
  by george matthews

bar358 wrote:During May and June this year I will be on my last trainning crusie for school. This years ports of call will be Barcelona, Spain; Gdynia, Poland; and Cobh, Ireland in which I would like to do some local railfanning at. If anyone has any suggestions on where I might be able to find some information about railroads in these towns or what railroads operate in the area would be a big help.

Thanks,

Matthew Minson
Maine Maritime Academy
Castine, Maine
There is a suburban branch from Cobh to Cork. In Cobh station there is a museum of Emigration, as in the past Cobh was a major port for the people leaving Ireland, mostly for the United States. It is a mostly single track line that about halfway turns left on to what was once a main line to Youghal, and is going to be revived soon as a suburban line to Midleton. This area is going to see a lot of investment in rail soon. You will note that all these lines are to the wider Irish gauge.

In Cork there is a large main station with an overall roof. From there run intercity trains to Dublin, and shorter distance trains to Tralee. The trains are all operated by Ironrod Eireann (IR).

Cork is an interesting city. If you are in the know you can see many remains of the major lines that were closed in the 1960s to the south west.
If you have time to take a train from Cork I recommend the line to Dublin and get off at Limerick Junction which is an interesting junction. All the mainline trains stop on a single long platform with a very interesting arrangement of track. There is also a bay platform for trains to Waterford and Limerick. I find it interesting that the trains have to back into this platform, something I have otherwise seen only in North America.

Another interesting trip is to Tralee via Killarney.

I can't help you with Barcelona or the others, except that I am aware there is a tramway in Barcelona and a metro. There of course you will see the Iberian Broad gauge.
Last edited by george matthews on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by sugartramp

If you have some time in Barcelona, I heartily recommend a triangular trip to the French border at La Tour de Carol, than east on the "Yellow train", or "Canary" to Villefranche, connecting to Perpignan on the Mediterranean, than back to Barcelona. The yellow train is an amazing narrow gauge mountain electric with all sorts of loops. La Tour de Carol is unique with three different gauges and three different types of electrification. Here is a link:

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/fr/nar ... k/pix.html

by sugartramp

Sorry, I didn't notice the year that you posted your original message. Mine is rather to late to help!

by sugartramp

Appologies again! I saw the date you had joined, thought it was the date you posted. I am rather new to this.

by David Benton

IF you get a thomas cook rail map of Europe , scenic lines are marked with a red line , if memory serves me correctly .
I also enjoyed Cork , a tour of Murphys brewery ensured that ! .

by NS3737

Be aware that for taking photos on the platform of the Renfe (Spanish) Railways) stations a photo permit is required, which is obtainable at the mainoffices in Madrid. I would not reconmend to take your changes on taking photos without it since every station has at least one armed guard and they do check on it. Anyway Barcelona's main station is an undergound affair. The good news is that Barcelona is a great city to stay especialy if you like architecture (Gaudi!).

You could try to make it to Cerbere (France) which is just across the border.

Gijs