• Puerto Rico

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by NIMBYkiller

Does anyone have any info on the history of the RR's in PR? I have a lot of info already about the American RR Co of Porto Rico but more is always nice.

I was told over on subchat by a former Arroyo resident that Tren Del Sur had passenger operations going into Ponce until 1985. Is this true? Does anyone have a schedule? Any photos? Any memories at all?

Also, there were apparently some lines more towards the east side of the island, like around Fajardo and also in Caguas. Any info on that stuff?

BTW, yes, I have ridden Tren Urbano, end to end.

by NIMBYkiller

Thanks for the link I posted on Subchat, lol

I know Tren Del Sur is operating as a tourist line now, but does anyone have info from its passenger days. I'm told it was in passenger service until 1985.

by sugartramp

I have a book "Railways of the Carribbean" by David Rollinson, which discusses Puerto Rican railways, as well as those of many other Islands. The Ponce & Guayama RR, which was owned by Central Aguirre Sugar Co., operated passenger trains on that section. The book doesn't specify when passenger service was abandoned. Arroyo is east of Guayama and was the home of Central Lafayette, which had its own cane RR, and which closed in 1973. After that time its territory and rail lines were taken over by Central Aguirre which finally closed in 1990. I am not sure when Aguirre quit using cane RRs, but am guessing it was when the Tren del Sur was started. If you would like I would be glad to send you copies of the P.R. section (6 pages.) The sugar industry is my main interest.

by David Benton

welcome to the worldwide forum , sugar tramp .

Year before last i was in fiji , where i saw quite a few sugar trains .

Future for the sugar industry there is not looking too bright though .

by NIMBYkiller

That'd be great. I guess you have a scanner to scan in those pages? My email is [email protected]

Thanks.

I'm told that Central Aguirre has a huge ghost town portion, possibly where that main yard is/was for the sugar cane RR.