Railroad Forums 

• Methods departuring of train in any country

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1465108  by george matthews

Ronal U18C Indonesia wrote:Evidently……… Indonesia only has methods of depaturing train with sounding a train horn
There are two reasons for procedures at departure from stations. One is to inform the driver when it is safe to depart. The other is to warn passengers when it is no longer safe to enter the train. In modern technological states both of these functions can be mainly performed by electronics. Doors which are centrally controlled by electronics do not need a signal from the guard, and will notify the driver automatically. That's why the Guard position has been eliminated on many modern trains. The London Underground is one such system.

But there are Metros which no longer have a driver. I have seen them in Belgium. The stations are underground. The London docks area has an automatic metro. There is a person on board but he seldom needs to drive. Control of the train is managed by a computer which oversees the whole line.
 #1465229  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote: to inform the driver when it is safe to depart.
Indeed, and that language is carefully chosen. The fact that it is "safe to depart" does not in itself give the driver authority to proceed. She is still governed by whatever system of train control is in use, and thus needs authority from the signallers. This would normally mean that she needs to see a fixed signal at 'proceed'; if the block signal at the end of the platform is at red, then the guard can sound the buzzer as long as he likes, and the platform staff wave all the white bats in the world, but the train cannot proceed.
george matthews wrote:The London docks area has an automatic metro... Control of the train is managed by a computer which oversees the whole line.
Yes, the Docklands Light Railway, which has proved remarkably successful. It uses a moving block system of train control. I saw an interesting (albeit populist) little video about moving block on the DLR just a few days ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52ZSCIAoRk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1465856  by george matthews

I think the DLR needs a signal from the on-board person - I am not sure what his title is. He gives a signal by pressing a button that the train can depart. Presumably the signal notifies the central computer to start the train. The signal to depart consists of a button which is located near any of the doors. Possibly it needs to be enabled by a key from the train manager.
 #1465868  by David Benton

I think in NZ the Train Manager has to be in sight of the engineer, it is not enough to radio that the passenger part is ready to proceed. I have seen the Train manager trying to get the drivers attention , get frustrated and call him on the radio , then still give him the hand signal to proceed.
 #1466744  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I think in NZ the Train Manager has to be in sight of the engineer, it is not enough to radio that the passenger part is ready to proceed. I have seen the Train manager trying to get the drivers attention , get frustrated and call him on the radio , then still give him the hand signal to proceed.
The DLR trains are very short. Moreover, there is no driver to 'see' a signal. The driving function is performed by a computer, which is not in the train.
 #1466746  by johnthefireman

First self-driving train launches on London Thameslink route

Reportedly the first self-driving train ever on the UK mainline system, although they have been running for years on the London underground. I believe they are using a form of moving block train control, where the computer regulates the speed of a train based on the speed of the train in front and the stopping distance required. Most existing systems use absolute block working, where the line is divided into sections or blocks and only one train at a time is allowed into a section.

I suppose it's possible that there are now amendments to the rule book to cover this type of train.
 #1468552  by Ronal U18C Indonesia

Rules number 40 : Train Dispatcher or Platform Monitor permission to Chief Conductor for departuring a train;Shape 1, what I mean is. Shape 2, PLEASE DEPART AGAIN speech. Shape 3, a signal lamp;Night shape, what I mean is|Indicate for departuring train
 #1468555  by Ronal U18C Indonesia

Rules number 41 : Chief Conductor notification to Machinist that train're ready to depart;Shape 1, what I mean is, shape 2, once long voice(I don't know what a long voice I don't know), Night shape, like daylight;Indicate a train that ready to depart
 #1468558  by Ronal U18C Indonesia

Rules number 35 : sound notification with listened trainhorn or trainflute;Machinist ask for attention;trainhorn signs
 #1468594  by johnthefireman

Thanks, Ronal, for trying!

Rule 40: What I see is green paddle by day, green lamp by night, but what are the green squares? I presume they are indicators on the platform - do they take the place of the paddle/lamp in the hands of the station staff, or are both needed? The equivalent of a "right away" indicator in the UK, perhaps?

Rule 41: You say it is the Chief Conductor, whom I presume is on-train staff, who gives the signal to the driver ("machinist" is the wrong translation - in the USA s/he is called "engineer" and in most other countries "driver", or occasionally "operator") so I assume this is the rule for when there is no staff on the platform, but there is still a green "right away" indicator?

Rule 35: I understand these are whistle/horn signals given by the driver, but I'm not clear how they relate to dispatching a train.