Railroad Forums 

• Some X-mas presents of my collection

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1454372  by Motorman

Good morning (wherever morning is at this moment).. :wink:

I thought I'll show you some pic out of my collection, including german trams and railway-equipment.
These pics are mainly made by myself, or my uncle.

Starting off with the Mannheim "Aerobus", a kind of rope suspended tramway, which was only for trial and demonstration use during the Federal Garden Exhibition in Mannheim, 1976:

Today, only a front part of one of the cabins remains in store, nothing else left over.

Next, some Pics of Berlin S-Bahn trains, of course with the "classic" 275, these trains were in service for more than 70 years:

Next, some views of Berlin U-Bahn:
In 1998, I had the chance to visit the Seestraße workshops.
I had set the (chemical) camera wrong, so I had some struggle with photoshop to get the pictures visible:

And now for someting completely different:
In September 1990, I visited Dresden. Not far away from the Youth-Hostel was the Mickten-Depot, with some unique works-cars, and a vintage (almost everything there and then was vintage..) transfer-table:

So far for now... stay tuned. :-D
 #1454515  by Benny

Interesting! The aerobus is very similar to the Wuppertal schwebebahn.
Years ago Dresden had, in another depot, a good collection of historical vehicles.

Ciao :wink:
 #1454909  by Motorman

Here I go again,
going down the only road.. down to my slide-collection. :wink:

Now something for you steamfreaks:
In the early 90s I visited some of the narrow-gauge railways in eastern germany.
We start with the "Cranzahl-Oberwiesenthal" route, today known as http://www.fichtelbergbahn.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My first visit there was in September 1990, a few weeks before unification took place. It was my first holiday on my own and then into an almost unknown territory,
so I was very curious about what to see:

A few years later I went there in Winter,
when I arrived there, there was no winter at all.
But things changed in the night...
(The morning after...)

Also in September 1990, I went to the Harz-Mountains:

There was still "full steam" in Wernigerode.

The so-called "Harz-Camels" were in service, but mostly for freight service.

I still remember this scene, THREE regular steam trains in one station (Eisfelder Talmühle), with a total of FIVE steam engines.

To be continued.
Stay tuned to this frequency.
 #1454923  by Benny

In the 90s I've gone too various times "hunting" on the Saxon narrow gauge lines and on the Harz network and, especially until mid decade, it was a real time warp, not only for the railroads but also for lifestyle and general infrastructure (e.g. various motorways were still stone paved as in the 30s). Going there was always an incredible history lesson. Many thanks for these souvenirs.

Ciao :wink:
 #1455007  by Motorman

@Benny:
Let's do the Time Warp again:

The small city of Nordhausen in the south of the Harz Mountains has a medium sized tram-network that managed to survive through
the rough years after reunification.
As an unique feature, the tram shares tracks with the Harz Railways on it's non-electrified suburban route to Ilfeld, Neanderklinik. Here the DUO-Combino's are in use.
Here is how it looks, September 1990 vs. November 2012:

Nighttime in Ilfeld: