Railroad Forums 

• Limited opportunity for lower freight emissions from rail in

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1443175  by David Benton

Limited opportunity for lower freight emissions from coastal shipping and rail, says New Zealand- MoT.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11919490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't agree, there is plenty of longer distance freight that could be won from Road, and I suspect from medium distance with more investment. The problem is much of the rail system is running on 19th century alignments.
I note they don't define "limited", though I agree more could be saved by switching to electric vehicles.
There is an election in 3 weeks where the incumbent govt is proposing more investment in roads, whilst the opposition is proposing more investment in rail. Draw your own conclusions over the timing of this report.
 #1443308  by David Benton

Not at all John.
She is the most charismatic politician we have had in a long time. It is incredible to think a month ago only 6 % preferred her to be Prime Minister.
If the young turn out to vote, (not compulsory here, and traditionally they don't vote in numbers), it will be a landslide.
Labour, the Green Party, and NZ First are likely coalition partners, and they all have campaigned on increased use of rail and public transport, and addressing climate change.
 #1447823  by David Benton

Well, we have a new , Labour led coalition government.
All 3 partners are pro rail, it is to early to tell what the direct benefits will be.
However , I think it is safe to say the Mothballing of Electric locos will be halted, they will either be overhauled or replaced with new Electric locos.
Northland railways are likely to be up graded , and a new railway planned to the major port there.
The East coast line is less certain, but its chances of been reinstated are better now than with the last government.
 #1447894  by David Benton

Thank you , John and George.
To be fair to the last govt, (National , our "tories"), I wouldn't describe them as anti rail , they actually funded railways reasonably well. A lot of new rolling stock was brought under the last government.
But it pales in significance to the Billions they poured into road transport. If anything the real losers were coastal shipping , which got nothing.