Railroad Forums 

• To Our Moderator; May The Best Boat Win

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1435109  by David Benton

Thank you , Mr Norman. I actually watched the end of this mornings (GMT+12) race, I normally find boat racing as interesting as watching paint dry.
The catamarans ability to go up on foils certainly makes it more interesting.

Funnily enough, this thread has a railway theme, the originator of the first Team NZ challenge, (now Sir) Michael Fay, was one of the principals of Fay and Ritchwaite, the company that advised the NZ government on preparing the then New Zealand railways for privatisation. They then somehow managed to partner with Wisconsin Central in buying it. This was about the time of the cup challenge, and Michael Fay was elevated to the heights of Edmund Hillary as a national icon.
Hence it appears a blind eye was turned to this , and the consequent asset stripping that followed. I think I have posted about this before.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Fay_(banker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
 #1435132  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Benton, while of course I wasn't around for Endeavor II v. Ranger (37), I was for Sceptre v. Columbia ('58). I also had occasion to be at the New York Yacht Club, at their quite landlocked clubhouse, during '83, just after Australia II "did the unthinkable" defeating Liberty. There were still marks on the carpet where the Cup had stood since whenever. To the "old salts", my Father being one of such, this was a Trump beats Hillary moment.

I guess I must accept that CAT's make for a more exciting and media worthy event; what with those rigs traveling almost 45kts. However, my Father (1909-2001), I think would hold a different view.

Again: "May the best boat win".
 #1435223  by Tadman

I was a bit of BAR Land Rover fan, but will happily cheer for Jimmy Spithill and the "Americans" this time. No offense to Mr. Benton but you won't catch me dead cheering for the Kiwis. Mr. Norman is exactly right, NZ defeating USA the first time was a Trump-beats-Hillary moment. As a lifelong sailor (my college burgee still hangs in the house) I can't stand the thought of us losing.
 #1435257  by george matthews

Tadman wrote:I was a bit of BAR Land Rover fan, but will happily cheer for Jimmy Spithill and the "Americans" this time. No offense to Mr. Benton but you won't catch me dead cheering for the Kiwis. Mr. Norman is exactly right, NZ defeating USA the first time was a Trump-beats-Hillary moment. As a lifelong sailor (my college burgee still hangs in the house) I can't stand the thought of us losing.
I think that might be considered an insult to NZ, which I don't think should be considered in any way similar to Trump - even as a joke.
 #1435315  by David Benton

No problems George, I don't think its meant as slight in any way . Simply a comparison of the enormity and unexpectedness of the task.
You re correct though , Trump would not be welcome here. He us the most unpopular USA President by far here. Poor Mr Tillerson got a rough reception here, just by association.
 #1435818  by Tadman

David Benton wrote:No problems George, I don't think its meant as slight in any way . Simply a comparison of the enormity and unexpectedness of the task.
You re correct though , Trump would not be welcome here. He us the most unpopular USA President by far here. Poor Mr Tillerson got a rough reception here, just by association.
David, thank you for your comments, you are indeed correct. I am in no way comparing the values of President Trump to those of New Zealand. It was a simple analogy noting that the USA losing the Cup was a monumental defeat of a very long winning streak. Sort of like seeing a political nobody defeat political royalty that was guaranteed to win until 7am the day after. I think a lot of American sailors were baffled and perplexed the day after the infamous loss to the Kiwis.

Oddly enough, I am usually not a fan of mass change in racing, but I love the new catamarans. I grew up sailing Hobies as fast as I could push them on Lake Michigan. Cats are fun and they slice right though the waves.
 #1435821  by george matthews

Tadman wrote:
David Benton wrote:No problems George, I don't think its meant as slight in any way . Simply a comparison of the enormity and unexpectedness of the task.
You re correct though , Trump would not be welcome here. He is the most unpopular USA President by far here. Poor Mr Tillerson got a rough reception here, just by association.
David, thank you for your comments, you are indeed correct. I am in no way comparing the values of President Trump to those of New Zealand. It was a simple analogy noting that the USA losing the Cup was a monumental defeat of a very long winning streak. Sort of like seeing a political nobody defeat political royalty that was guaranteed to win until 7am the day after. I think a lot of American sailors were baffled and perplexed the day after the infamous loss to the Kiwis.

Oddly enough, I am usually not a fan of mass change in racing, but I love the new catamarans. I grew up sailing Hobies as fast as I could push them on Lake Michigan. Cats are fun and they slice right though the waves.
I can't help feeling that catamaran racing has usurped the name America's Cup. I do understand that no-one could afford the sort of boat that was the original of the cup but I therefore think the title should have been retired and a new title for a new competition been adopted.
 #1435929  by Gilbert B Norman

It is just too deep a hole for Oracle to dig out from - especially when there is nothing to suggest that "personnel changes", such as "beaching" Spithill, would change things around.

Starting with the bicycles, Mr. Benton has the better boat - and as I said at the outset, "may the best boat win".

Now if "sugar daddy" Emirates REALLY wants to restore "tradition", how about a J-Boat next time around -
and sailing in the choppy Arabian Sea.
 #1435995  by David Benton

[quote="Gilbert B Norman"

Starting with the bicycles, Mr. Benton has the better boat - and as I said at the outset, "may the best boat win".

Now if "sugar daddy" Emirates REALLY wants to restore "tradition", how about a J-Boat next time around -
and sailing in the choppy Arabian Sea.[/quote]
As my Karate instructor always said , your legs are your strongest muscles, make sure you use them . This mornings second start seemed to confirm that, with Emirates ability to turn on a dime.

If they want choppy seas, Auckland has 2 harbours ( how many other cities around the world can claim that ?), and they could swap the relatively calm Hauraki gulf Waitemata harbour, for the west coast Manukau Harbour, exposed to the ravages of the Tasman Sea. Or , Wellington's wind tunnel, The Cook Strait. Its not unheard of for Wellington to tie ropes across the pedestrian crossings for the pedestrians to hold on to. I think it also lays claim to New Zealand's only incidence of a train been blown off the tracks, on the Rimutaka Incline.