Railroad Forums 

• Salisbury Umtali

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1429782  by george matthews

I have travelled on this line in Rhodesian times. In Umtali I changed trains to go to Beira.

Later I travelled back to Umtali by road after having failed to travel from Beira to Lourenco Marques - because there was neither a rail connection nor a modern road between the two cities. This was in the last years of Portuguese rule in Mozambique. They had not managed to build a transport connection between the two cities despite boasting about the number of centuries they had been there.
 #1429910  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:What's in the tender in the above photo?

From zimfieldguide.com.
http://zimfieldguide.com/manicaland/ord ... w-mutare-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost certainly it was logs from trees. I think that in 1899 they had not yet opened up the coal mine at Wankie, or built the rail connection. Wankie (Hwange, I think) is on the line to the Zambezi and was probably not yet available.
 #1430043  by philipmartin

That doesn't look like the kind of fuel that I put in my yachts - (I have several.) I fill up the bath tub and sail them around in it. And for railroad content, I have an HO car float with freight cats on it, and sail that around the tub too.
 #1430052  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:Thanks, George. Peculiar looking wood.
Rhodesia, like South Africa, made use of coal deposits for its main energy needs. Nowadays Zimbabwe's main energy source is from the Kariba dam on the Zambezi which supplies electricity to the whole country, and also to Zambia.