• Bangkok steam

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

The description of Bangkok's highways/railways sounds like something out of the next century. In Manhattan we have what are actually tricycles; a guy on the front pedaling and seats for two passengers in the rear. I doubt that they cost a fraction of a farthing, though.
  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:Not steam, but Bangkok trains in the news again, due to no fault of their own.

Briton, 21, hospitalised in Thailand after 'falling out of train'

British backpacker in Thai hospital after falling from moving train
Police do not suspect foul play, he added.
That sounds like sheer carelessness. I wonder if there was 'drink taken'.
  by philipmartin

He was riding between the cars. he's lucky he didn't fall between them.
  by johnthefireman

On our steam trains in South Africa our onboard crew is constantly having to stop passengers from standing between the coaches smoking. Apart from the fire danger from dropping cigarette butts onto the dry bush (which would of course be wrongly blamed on the steam engine itself) and the danger of falling off and killing oneself, we have had some of these idiots even trying to climb onto the roof of the train under the overhead electric wires. I make frequent long international flights and I see that the addicts manage to last eight or nine hours on a plane without their tobacco fix, so I don't understand why they can't last just two or three hours on a train.
  by philipmartin

"Climb on the roof under the overhead wires". Maybe thirty or forty years ago there was a private car in Penn Station, New York, and they were having a party on it. A man and woman climbed on the roof and the man made contact with the overhead wire and got knocked off the roof, a fatality. The overhead wire in Penn Station is very low.

http://www.nytimes.com/1979/09/10/archi ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  by philipmartin

Photos of track level in PSNY to illustrate the height of the overhead wire. The lower photo shows an LIRR DM30AC dual power locomotive in the distance. It's running off the third rail.