Railroad Forums 

• Earthquake in New Zealand

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1408863  by David Benton

i think they will end up tunneling some of it . Rail has an advantage in that it should be faster and cheaper to tunnel for rail than road.
However the current govt is very pro road, lukewarm rail, to say the least.
 #1408868  by David Benton

I'm not sure if this link will work , but it is the most close up picture of the damage I have seen so far. And this is the parts still accessible by road.

https://www.facebook.com/tim.burt.56/po ... 3794568478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
It appears the photographer is a young engineer with a road consultancy firm .
 #1408884  by philipmartin

The link to Tim Burt's work is fine. The two tunnels look undamaged which surprises me.. I don't think I'd want to be In a tunnel when the landscape is moving around.
 #1408942  by ExCon90

philipmartin wrote:YouTube NZ Kiwi train rodeo. Do they have markers on the hind end of these trains?

http://youtu.be/SEeQX1YcV24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://youtu.be/YkcBmshZEyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the first video, an emu train is displaying markers at 3:49. On the immediately following video, "departure from Wellington," right at the beginning, when the equipment is backing in, there are markers on the rear. (I assume they're called something else in the Commonwealth--tail lamps, as in Britain?)
On the second video, a flashing red marker is shown at 10:51.
David, at 3:15, there is a signal to the right of the track, and at the end of the run the driver is on the right side of the engine. Was that usual, on a left-hand-running railway?
 #1408962  by David Benton

Passenger carriages,locos and guards vans have 3 red lights for the rear , 2 on the left , 1 on the right . I dont know if that pattern signifies anything. Freight trains have a coupler mounted flashing red light , part of the "FRED", cant recall what the f stands for , the rest is rear end device ???
Wellingtons EMU's have always had the driver sitting on the right , i have only just considered this is not normal from your questions. With the sharp curves in Nz signals are on whatever side of the track gives best visibility, on double track (what little there is), it would be to the left of normal running direction.
I think on diesel trains, the driver/engineer sits on the left, but possibly on steam trains they sit on the right .
I will ask on a facebook page if anyone knows for sure , and the reasons.
Philip, find a video of the Coastal pacific train, that is the passenger train on the route that has now been decimated.
 #1408998  by David Benton

It appears the engineer does sit on the right in most instances.
Here is a link to the discussion , I don't know if you can view a discussion in a closed group ? If you can't let me know , and I'll cut an paste it .
 #1409003  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote: Philip, find a video of the Coastal pacific train, that is the passenger train on the route that has now been decimated.
Thank you, David. The video I saw was probably of the East Coast main trunk, a passenger train . I wonder if the crew just forgot to light up the hind end.
The red light you mention, on the end of freights sounds like the telemetry we use over here. It replaced the caboose.
 #1409105  by ExCon90

David Benton wrote: cant recall what the f stands for , the rest is rear end device ???
Rear-end device is correct, and I think the F stood for "flashing"--although in practice many employees substituted another word. The terminology has since been changed to End-of-train (EOT) device.