Railroad Forums 

• Oevel Belgium

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#150407  by msernak

I will be in Oevel Belgium for two weeks this month. What rail lines are worth checking out? I am interested mainly in freight trains.

#150490  by David Benton

Welcome to the worldwide forum . Hopefully some of our European members will be able to help you .
I would say one of the ports would be your best bet , according to trains magazine , Zeebrugge and antwerp are connected to the European intermodal system . I also have an article from the English magazine , "Todays Railways" October 2002 , which has maps and a article on Antwerp , describing it as Europes biggest rail container terminal .
 #150702  by george matthews

msernak wrote:I will be in Oevel Belgium for two weeks this month. What rail lines are worth checking out? I am interested mainly in freight trains.
Where is Oevel? I know the main towns in Belgium but have never heard of this place. Perhaps it is a village. The spelling suggests it is in Vlaanderen.
Belgium has a dense rail network, almost all electrified to 3000 volt DC with overhead line. There are frequent passenger trains on all lines as well as freight on main lines. The freight tends to be long distance from and to other countries. On the coast there are important ports (visible from the Coastal tram system) at Oostende and Zeebrugge. Container trains originate at these. They are usually electrically hauled, sometimes with locomotives capable of using the different electrification systems in neighbouring countries.
A good place to watch a variety of trains is Gent St Peters Station.

#150853  by NS3737

Belgium, well I neglected my neighbours to the south a bit the last years. For freight treins also consider Berchem (close to Antwerpen), most trains to and from the harbour of Antwerpen pass through this station. For the same trains you might consider Antwerpen Oost or Antwerpen Dam, at the latter station the view might be obstructed due to the construction of the high speed line to the Netherlands. Also the line from Dinant to Bertrix is an option although careful trip scheduling is reconmened, very few passenger trains there and quite some patience is needed but the line is very scenic.

Gijs

#151373  by msernak

Oevel is in the northern section of Belgium. I do believe it is a village. My company has a large manufacturing plant and distribution center there.
 #151594  by NS3737

On the map there is a tiny village named Oevel approximately 40 km east of Antwerpen, the closest towns of any subsytance are Geel and Mol. So it is in de Dutch (Flemish) speaking part of Belgium.

Here is the link to the officla site of the NMBS

http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/index.php

Gijs