Railroad Forums 

• Navajo Mine Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#877957  by ChrisU

Does anyone have any pictures of it and when does it operate? Thanks in advance.
 #878781  by Komachi

I think I've posted some of this info. on the boards, eslewhere, but I'll post them again here...

Info. ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_Mine_Railroad
http://www.trainweb.org/southwestshorts/navajo.html

Loco Roster...
http://www.thedieselshop.us/Navajo.HTML

If I dig up anything else, I'll post it.
 #1339101  by MrDowntown

Can anyone help me with a location puzzle regarding this railroad?

The topo maps, the old county highway maps, the Benchmark Atlas, Roads of New Mexico, and DeLorme atlas all show the railroad running south from the power plant, located next to Morgan Lake, about four miles south of US64 and the San Juan River. The railroad is also quite visible in various sources of aerial imagery.

But the Steam-Powered Video Atlas clearly shows it north of the highway and river, running northwesterly. Any idea why it would apparently be so wrong?
 #1339389  by Backshophoss

You may have mistaken a power line marking on the map(Delorme) as the Navajo Mine RR,
Info on anything in reservation lands is a pain to confirm,and Railfanning that RR is not possible.
ACCESS on Indian Lands is very controlled,the 4 Corners(San Juan) Power Plant and the Mine are off limits
There are 2 Indian Tribes in the area,Navajo and Ute Mountain. Both have their own PD's and are considered
"Sovergin Nations" with their own laws.

The 4 Corners(San Juan)Power Plant is NORTH of the San Juan River and US 64 between Waterflow and Fruitland NM
off road 6800.
Best bet is to use Bing or Google maps in sat view mode starting at the power plant and follow the RR.
 #1501330  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Backshophoss wrote: There are 2 Indian Tribes in the area,Navajo and Ute Mountain. Both have their own PD's and are considered
"Sovergin Nations" with their own laws.
How are they if you were to be on their territory or property while trying to follow/photograph the railroad. Are they ok as long as outsiders are respectful (ie good driving habits, respecting nature, etc)?
 #1501411  by Backshophoss

There will be signs posted at the reservation boundaries If you are on a public road(State route or US route) that you are now on tribal lands and their rules,
The no pictures rule will be posted on the sign,for their religious reasons/beliefs
You will be better off NOT to take the chance and getting tangled in their courts.

Railrunner riders hear this warning daily after leaving Bernalillo/US 550 station heading to Santa Fe northward and southward from
the NM 599 station southward to ABQ