Railroad Forums 

• Riverside or Fullerton California?

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1209566  by diburning

Hello everyone,

I will be going to California on Wednesday, and I was wondering what the railfanning was like in Riverside and Fullerton. I am from the east coast so I don't know much about CA, so please bear with me and help me out!

How many trains can I expect to see in Riverside? Freight? Passenger? Will we be bothered by Metrolink police? I read one report of someone being thrown out by Metrolink police for not having a media permit. I just want to be safe as I will be there all day and don't want to get stuck there unable to railfan when it is over 100 degrees out.

I read that I'll be able to see a lot of trains at Fullerton (50 freight, 56 passenger). I also heard that all of the BNSF freight passing through Fullerton also passes through Riverside. Is this true? Will I see more freight in Riverside, and more passenger in Fullerton? Any problems with staying at Fullerton all day?

Which would you say is a better place to railfan? (ie more trains?) I intend on going to both places.

Also, I see that Riverside will be over 100 degrees this week. How bad does the heat get? Is it a dry heat, or is it humid?
 #1210012  by Backshophoss

You might check in the Ca commuter rail forum on Metrolink's photo policy,Fullerton is the Jct with the ex-ATSF San Diego Sub.
Both Riverside and Fullerton are on the BNSF Transcon to Chicago,which will be clearing out a backlog of EB(and WB) freight due to a
washout at Ibis Ca last weekend.
Both Fullerton and Riverside are joint Amtrak/Metrolink stations,the most passenger train action will be at Fullerton,only #3+#4 stop
at Riverside,#1+#2 follow the former SP routing in/out of LAUPT(LAUS).
IF you can find a now "dusty" copy of the Altamont Press Ca Region timetable,it will have some more info you can use.