Railroad Forums 

• 18's original Tender

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#701379  by jgallaway81

Does anyone have pictures from when 18's tender was still mated to 18?

I'm trying to redraw my picture of 18 with her original tender, but I found out I have no good pictures which feature the tender side-on, from which to draw it.

I need high res, but a 1024*768 picture of just the tender would suffice.

Thanks for anyone who can help out.
 #702432  by CCole1983

Well I think I may have something for you. After a little bit of searching on the net, I came across this...

I hope it helps.
 #703944  by Mountcastle

Here's an interesting shot of 18 with her original tender:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... tart%3D100

No. 14's tender, by itself, can be seen in the background.

And here's a great shot:

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1007/aa18a.jpg

And this one from the A&A'a website:

http://www.arcadeandatticarr.com/graphi ... 495407.jpg
 #704033  by jgallaway81

Thank you guys for looking on the net, its appreciated.

However none of those pictures show the tender fully side-on. With the perspective, its impossible to get the dimensions of the tender right.

I was hoping someone like Pat could flip through his collection and scan in a high-res (in the area of 1500x1000 or so) a picture of the tender.

Again, thanks for looking, I really do appreciate your efforts.

-J.D.
 #704149  by Mountcastle

J.D.,

What about that pic of 18 pulling the train across the Cattaraugus Creek Bridge in the Edward Lewis book? I'm at the office at the moment and the book's at home but if I recall, that image is fairly 'side-on'. I also seem to recall an early brochure with a good loco-tender-coach image; they have one on display under glass at the depot.

I've searched some more on the internet but I can't find anything.
 #704254  by BSOR Patarak

Jason, I've been meaning to look for one for you. We've been a little busy bringing in the James E. Strates Show train to Hamburg...and this wild weather the past couple of days just put another wrench in the works. Worked a Civil War train at Arcade on Sunday. I've never seen it rain so hard so fast while trying to unload a full train with another full crowd waiting in the station! Trying to close windows, keep seats dry and get people off safely was a challenge I'll say. I haven't talked to the A&A today to see if they got hit by the rains again last night. Gowanda is shut down and there is severe damage to my own rail line that will have to be taken care of...I'll get back with you on the tender at some point.
 #704275  by jgallaway81

Thanks Pat.

We are getting hammered down here in the Altoona area as well.

The bad part is that as soon as a flash flood warning hits anywhere in the division, the entire division gets an emergency speed restriction.

Not so bad when shoving trains up the mountain, but keeping the train down to a restricted speed when rolling downhill with wet rail makes it hard on traction control software.
 #704282  by Mountcastle

I can only imagine, Pat, what a chaotic day that must have been with all the reenactors and passengers and flags and guns and costumes, all in a torrential downpour. Madonne. I hope the Union troops still managed to win the war. :wink:

Connected with Ben Higgins on Facebook today. He's living in OP and is married, with a son who looks to be no more than 2 years old. Jonah. How time flies.

Jason, I'm looking at the Lewis book now and that image of 18 crossing the trestle, I now see, has a very slightly angled perspective but, really, it's the nearest thing I've seen to a 100% 'cameo profile', for lack of the correct vocabulary word. I'm sure Pat will save the day, though; always does.

Best of luck with all the rain, gentlemen. It can't be easy to be either of you on hellish weather days.
 #704623  by thebigham

BSOR Patarak wrote:Jason, I've been meaning to look for one for you. We've been a little busy bringing in the James E. Strates Show train to Hamburg...and this wild weather the past couple of days just put another wrench in the works. Worked a Civil War train at Arcade on Sunday. I've never seen it rain so hard so fast while trying to unload a full train with another full crowd waiting in the station! Trying to close windows, keep seats dry and get people off safely was a challenge I'll say. I haven't talked to the A&A today to see if they got hit by the rains again last night. Gowanda is shut down and there is severe damage to my own rail line that will have to be taken care of...I'll get back with you on the tender at some point.
Good luck, Pat! I hope the BSOR and the NYLE can reopen quickly.
 #706449  by steamfan6325

I saw this pic hanging in the depot at Curriers and thought of this thread.
Did the best I could to minimize the glare. Hope this helps.

Jon
 #706541  by Mountcastle

Wow. Can't ask for much better than that.

Looking at this photo causes me to wonder, however, whatever possessed them to repaint the tender such that the lettering was no longer vertically centered but rather so high up on the tender. It looked really dumb that way, to be frank.
 #709177  by BSOR Patarak

So far, looking in my pictures...I haven't been able to find a direct on side shot. Everything seems to be at an angle. I'll keep looking though. I haven't made it into the slides yet.
 #709180  by jgallaway81

Thanks for the update Pat, I really appreciate it.

The more I look at the pictures I have available, the more i think that the two tenders are nearly the same size... 18's water tank is just shorter, and there is a 'deck' on the back of the frame after the tank.
 #709181  by BSOR Patarak

Try this one. It is from a snap shot and not of high quality...

edited - I also just found an old negative from my early high school photo class days. To my suprise, there are several A&A shots never printed to paper. One is a perfect side shot of just 18's tender sitting on the siding that went off to Monroe Games (or the plant to the west of the shop). There are also two views of 14 being pulled down to Blue Seal to get steaming hot water from their boiler for a hydro test! Didn't even know I had these. I guess I'll be running off to the photo shop to have some prints made!
 #709684  by BSOR Patarak

Here is a view from the mid 1980's. The tender is sitting on the siding that left the main just south of the Sand House. It went over the property where the Village Barn now is. Notice just above the right or front truck there is a crack in the side frame member. This is one of the reasons the tender was taken out of service. Notice also that the front truck is a replacement. I don't know where the original went to, or where the replacement came from.

Let me know if these two views are what you need Jason.

Pat