Railroad Forums 

• Creating Trainz route

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#1129144  by ctclark1

In recent years I've been combining my computer hobby with my train hobby, in that respect and given my recent boredom with unemployment (between job hunting and interviewing) I've begun an attempt to build the A&A in Trainz (a computer railroad simulation, for those unfamiliar) and am slowly compiling questions for realism.

Having not ever really gotten a chance to see the A&A in true action in person (only seen a couple times here and there at various crossings), I apologize in advance if some of my questions are rather newbie-like questions, but I assure you I've been interested in the A&A for a number of years. (In fact, one of the things on my list of "dreams" of winning the lottery is that the A&A would likely receive a rather large donation, but unfortunately we know the statistics and I'll likely be struck by lightning first... but that's neither here nor there...)

1) What kind of speed "limits" are there? Obviously there's no chance of thundering down the tracks, and I'm aware that the tracks north of Curriers are likely still Excepted (so therefore that is all 10mph) but is it 10 on the entire route or are there areas between Arcade and Curriers where things are "opened up" so to speak and you can hit a whopping 20?

2) Regarding the two Main Street crossings in Arcade - are the "signals" there automatic, or are they manually operated? (in other words with those two, assuming an automatic trigger is far enough out can a train typically just run through there or do they basically end up having to stop and wait for the flagman (conductor/brakeman?) to get out and hit a button to request clearance anyway?) (Also, despite the traffic lights I've seen at least the eastern Main crossing flagged before with the passenger train, is that due to starting proximity of the excursion or some other reason?)

3) With all the other crossings on the route, are those still required to be manually flagged since there are no automatic protections? Or due to the low speed being used can those be run "at speed" as a normal crossing?

4) I know that at least 112, and maybe from some of the pictures, 111 as well, have a 5-chime horn. Does anyone know the specific model? (K5, M5, etc?)

5) Two parter regarding switching ops - A) Does Residorf have a method for moving a car on their own or do they need to wait for A&A on a M/W/F to come up (regardless of whether new cars are coming in or not) to move cars from the storage tracks into the "barn" to unload?
B) Who switches Blue Seal at the junction, A&A or B&P? (That might need some extra elaboration - does B&P simply leave all cars on the south siding? or do they leave some there and some on the little run-around to the north at certain times? Or is it just a cluster that can't really be explained?)

As I get farther along on this project (I expect it to take a while) and as the weather starts improving I do intend on getting my butt down to Arcade and maybe do some chasing to see everything in action, but figured this was as good a place as any to get started... I have the route laid (though the grades are a bit wonky) I'm just wanting to get started on some of the logistics while I procrastinate on finding appropriate buildings and such to plunk down.
 #1130432  by Benjamin Maggi

Sounds like a very interesting project. Do you plan to recreate it as it is now, or as it was during its peak freight years?
 #1130883  by ctclark1

Right now I'm working on an as-is version as kind of a self-training, I do plan on creating a second version in the future (once I get more accustomed to creating prototypical routes) that extends all the way to Attica from the middle of the century that includes things like Borden and the prison... If I stick with it long enough I have intentions of going so far as doing the entire CSX Rochester sub (that's a long way off).
 #1149981  by jgallaway81

ctclark1 wrote:In recent years I've been combining my computer hobby with my train hobby, in that respect and given my recent boredom with unemployment (between job hunting and interviewing) I've begun an attempt to build the A&A in Trainz (a computer railroad simulation, for those unfamiliar) and am slowly compiling questions for realism.

Having not ever really gotten a chance to see the A&A in true action in person (only seen a couple times here and there at various crossings), I apologize in advance if some of my questions are rather newbie-like questions, but I assure you I've been interested in the A&A for a number of years. (In fact, one of the things on my list of "dreams" of winning the lottery is that the A&A would likely receive a rather large donation, but unfortunately we know the statistics and I'll likely be struck by lightning first... but that's neither here nor there...)

1) What kind of speed "limits" are there? Obviously there's no chance of thundering down the tracks, and I'm aware that the tracks north of Curriers are likely still Excepted (so therefore that is all 10mph) but is it 10 on the entire route or are there areas between Arcade and Curriers where things are "opened up" so to speak and you can hit a whopping 20?

Though major trackwork has been completed, I believe speeds have remained as-is. At one time I was told 10 for freight, 15 for passenger. But I was still foaming at the time so I may have that backwards. Either way, 10 would be prototypical. Having said that, the couple times I have been up since the trackwork was done, it seemed the the passenger train (with steam power) had a way of blasting past you.

2) Regarding the two Main Street crossings in Arcade - are the "signals" there automatic, or are they manually operated? (in other words with those two, assuming an automatic trigger is far enough out can a train typically just run through there or do they basically end up having to stop and wait for the flagman (conductor/brakeman?) to get out and hit a button to request clearance anyway?) (Also, despite the traffic lights I've seen at least the eastern Main crossing flagged before with the passenger train, is that due to starting proximity of the excursion or some other reason?)

Unless things have changed, there is an island circuit which triggers the lights at both crossings. The train registers, the light timers activate and when the lights turn red for traffic, the yellow light lites for the train. In effect, you have a rail/road interlocking in operation.

3) With all the other crossings on the route, are those still required to be manually flagged since there are no automatic protections? Or due to the low speed being used can those be run "at speed" as a normal crossing?

The railroad decides on each crossing based on traffic levels. Most crossings are protected by crossbucks and the train can occupy the crossing with no need for on teh ground protection. However a few crossings are protected.

4) I know that at least 112, and maybe from some of the pictures, 111 as well, have a 5-chime horn. Does anyone know the specific model? (K5, M5, etc?)

I know a guy who might be able to tell based on sound. Let me check with him. We have a helper unit out of Altoona that has a horn that sounds just like the A&A units. Its about the only way I like getting ordered for a helper because the horn brings back fond memories.

5) Two parter regarding switching ops - A) Does Residorf have a method for moving a car on their own or do they need to wait for A&A on a M/W/F to come up (regardless of whether new cars are coming in or not) to move cars from the storage tracks into the "barn" to unload?

At one time, they did have a tractor like vehicle outfited with a drawhead (the knuckle and the part the knuckle is in) welded on. They have also been known to just shove cars around with a regular tractor.

B) Who switches Blue Seal at the junction, A&A or B&P? (That might need some extra elaboration - does B&P simply leave all cars on the south siding? or do they leave some there and some on the little run-around to the north at certain times? Or is it just a cluster that can't really be explained?)

At last report, the BS mill was switched by B&P, the cars being dropped directly into their appropriate locations. BSM has a "cap-stand" car moving system for moving empties out of the bays and loads into position.

As I get farther along on this project (I expect it to take a while) and as the weather starts improving I do intend on getting my butt down to Arcade and maybe do some chasing to see everything in action, but figured this was as good a place as any to get started... I have the route laid (though the grades are a bit wonky) I'm just wanting to get started on some of the logistics while I procrastinate on finding appropriate buildings and such to plunk down.

Once you have a decent amount done, you might approach the railroad management about getting the okay to ride with a freight run for the purpose of more research. It never hurts to ask, the worst they can do is tell you no.

Good luck, and don't be shy about sharing some screen caps!