Railroad Forums 

• Computer Glitch or no ?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#901373  by 3rdrail

I just went to log into my RR.Net account to see what was doing and for the first time ever, I got a message informing me that due to the number of attempted log in's, that I had to do a Captcha in order to get in. This was only the second time today that I logged in, the first time being about seven hours ago. So, I'm wondering if the system just hiccupped or if someone is actually trying to log in as me ? Anbody else get this message ?
 #901469  by Ken V

No. I haven't seen this message (so far).
 #906059  by Jeff Smith

I had quite a few reports about two months ago, but that has subsided. At the same time I was getting registration problems. Stupid me, I had banned email addresses using just the wildcard character: *

Which effectively banned everyone from registering. If for some reason your internet cookies were cleared, you got caught in the "web". When I finally figured it out, the problems stopped.

I know enough about the internet sometimes to be dangerous! But I did figure it out finally, and it was an easy mistake to make (done while fighting spammers).

Sorry you guys were inconvenienced.
 #906087  by 3rdrail

It seems, for me at least, to have been a one-time problem. Never came back. Jeff- while we're on the subject. The bold, italics, underline, and smiley features when making a post, seem to all be disabled. Also, you can't highlight a passage anymore to delete or copy it anymore. All of those features were appreciated in the past and make for more interesting and expressive posts. Is there any chance that we could see them return ? Thanks.
 #906109  by 3rdrail

Appreciate it. By the way, you're doing a great job.
 #908389  by MEC407

The exact same thing just happened to me. Tried to log in, and it said that due to too many login attempts (???) I had to enter a CAPTCHA. Which I did, but it didn't work, so I had to do it again, and then it allowed me to login. Very bizarre. First time that's ever happened to me in all the years I've been using this site.
 #908620  by Jeff Smith

I'm pretty sure the "CAPTCHA" is happening after a member clears their, er, "cookies" and internet cache. Which is always advisable on a regular basis. It may also have to do with static vs. random IP addresses. Once cookies are cleared and you have to log in (i.e. login no longer automatic since the railroad.net cookie is cleared).

It shouldn't be too much of a hassle since the invalid email fiasco has been solved. Just a one time inconvenience (and those CAPTCHAs can be hard to read) until the cookie is replaced.