RAILROAD.NET on Google

General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

philipmartin

RAILROAD.NET on Google

Post by philipmartin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:31 am

How come posts here may wind up on Google? For example, google Manunka Chunk Tunnels, and work you way to the item marked RAILROAD.NET.

Taborite

Re: RR.net on Google

Post by Taborite » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:57 am

philipmartin wrote:How come posts here may wind up on Google? For example, google Manunka Chunk Tunnels, and work you way to the item marked RAILROAD.NET.
Because it's a public forum and it's on the internet...?

While it is possible to tell the google bot not to crawl a site at the server level, making parts of your site more difficult to find is seldom desirable.
NJIT Student, commuter, and the world's only hapless owner of a Mount Tabor - Jersey Avenue monthly. Lackawanna Coalition webmaster

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are his own, and frequently contradict the consensus opinions of the Lackawanna Coalition. Reader's discretion advised.

Uzi-Cat
Location: Reporting to the Control Center for Reinstruction as we speak.

Post by Uzi-Cat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:09 am

If it is problem, don't post here anymore.
"All I wanted was a Pepsi!"

philipmartin

Post by philipmartin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:55 am

Because it's a public forum and it's on the internet...?
Thanks. I was wondering how Google got their information. I thought Google's standards for accuracy precluded the kind of stuff I put on here.

umtrr-author

Post by umtrr-author » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 am

Well, as a data point, if you search "Turtle Brook Road Port Reading," your first match is the post I made here titled "Rounding the Curve at Port Reading"!

And Google had captured that post something less than 12 hours after I had made it.
George in Rochester NY
The Unofficial Micro-Trains Release Report (among other things)

sixty-six

Post by sixty-six » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:47 am

And this is in the NJT forum why? Probably better asked in one of the main RR.net forums.

philipmartin

Post by philipmartin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm glad I saw that post about the Port Reading branch, because I worked Weston tower after Conrail took over, and put trains down that line. Nice pictures.
And this is in the NJT forum why? Probably better asked in one of the main RR.net forums.
Actually, I intended to put it on the Jersey forum; but it was 3:30am when I first posted it, and I was careless, and then figured I'd let it go. It seems to me the topic is applicable to any forum.
Last edited by philipmartin on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sullivan1985

Post by sullivan1985 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Welcome to the internet.. OF THE FUTURE! Where search engines scan the internet for publicly available data!

sixty-six

Post by sixty-six » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:08 pm

PullmanCo

Post by PullmanCo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:37 pm

philipmartin wrote:How come posts here may wind up on Google? For example, google Manunka Chunk Tunnels, and work you way to the item marked RAILROAD.NET.
You can look on Google again and find out how "robot" software works.

If the webmasters were to edit the site's "robots.txt" file with several "disallow" statements, then you wouldn't see RRNET so much on any search engine.

philipmartin

Post by philipmartin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Actually, I don't mind being on Google. In fact I feel like a world wide celebrity. I'm just surprised.

PullmanCo

Post by PullmanCo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:45 pm

In that case, like another poster said, welcome to the internet. That's how it works.

Uzi-Cat
Location: Reporting to the Control Center for Reinstruction as we speak.

Post by Uzi-Cat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks for coming in.
"All I wanted was a Pepsi!"

cruiser939

Post by cruiser939 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:00 pm

philipmartin wrote:I'm glad I saw that post about the Port Reading branch, because I worked Weston tower after Conrail took over, and put trains down that line.
Ok, I'm just going to come out and ask the question that everyone has to be thinking. Are there any railroad related jobs that you haven't held.
To loosely quote Capt. Jack Aubrey from the movie Master and Commander: "NJT runs a railroad, not a private yacht! WE DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR YOUR DAMNED HOBBIES, SIR!"

Originator of Jeff Smith rules!
Cruiser "Awesome Justice Train Freedom America" 939

philipmartin

Post by philipmartin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:21 am

Are there any railroad related jobs that you haven't held.
I was lucky to work when there were comparatively more railroad jobs around. Most of the jobs I worked no longer exist.

Return to “General Discussion: About RAILROAD.NET”