Railroad Forums 

• A few questions concerning Cornell University

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#617436  by EastIthaca

Hi Stu! Thanks for sharing these memories.

If I recall correctly from city directories of the period, the oil/tar company was named Koppers. An 18-wheeler trucking company now occupies that site, which has recently been listed for sale (not sure the current status).

You mentioned University Sand and Gravel, which was acquired the site of the old Perry Coal Company, originally East Hill Coal Yard. The large covered coal trestle building was still located at the siding there in 1964, but had been razed by 1976. Do you by chance have any recollection of how long this particular structure survived?
 #617938  by psdstu

EastIthaca wrote:Hi Stu! Thanks for sharing these memories.

If I recall correctly from city directories of the period, the oil/tar company was named Koppers. An 18-wheeler trucking company now occupies that site, which has recently been listed for sale (not sure the current status).

You mentioned University Sand and Gravel, which was acquired the site of the old Perry Coal Company, originally East Hill Coal Yard. The large covered coal trestle building was still located at the siding there in 1964, but had been razed by 1976. Do you by chance have any recollection of how long this particular structure survived?
EI,

Thanks for the update on Koppers. If I remember correctly there was a spur line which went to Koppers with tank cars.

Regarding the University Sand and Gravel covered coal trestle building I clearly remember the structure being there as late as 1974.... I joined the Navy in early 1974, and remember driving up Maple Ave often and seeing the building there prior to joining the Navy.

Not sure when the building was leveled.........or when USandG went out of bussiness. I know that USandG had distinctvley painted Red and White trucks.........go figure..... :-D

They also used to drive down the old track bed behind the Cornell Magnet building where they would wash out and deposit left over concrete. As a young boy in the late 50's and through the 60's it was fun to watch the trucks do there clean-up and the drivers were very friendly and let us watch them.

Stu