Railroad Forums 

• Creation of a Railroad.Net Chat Area

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#61195  by Ken W2KB

My concern with a chat room is that some, perhaps many, questions and issues would be discussed there and never make it to the written posts. That means most of us will never have the opportunity to learn something new or contribute, unlike the written posts here. Further, to the extent that chat is used, there would be less traffic in the written fora here which can result in fewer users being interested. Sort of like when the NJ commuter lines started discontinuing lightly used trains in the 50s and 60s, they lost more income than costs avoided because many regular rush hour riders needed those later and off peak trains as a back up for the occasions when they needed to work late or come in early. So they stopped riding altogether and drove. Became a death spiral of train-offs.

#61196  by Ken W2KB

P.S., the suggestion that IM (or even private e-mail) can be used appropriately is fine, and would seem to cover the need as is.

#61723  by Otto Vondrak

I personally am leaning toward that position. I mean, if someone could point out exactly what a "chat" would add to this site, I might be interested.

-otto-

#100997  by ANDY117

Im sure otto is on top of things, CNJ.

#123483  by CNJ

All righty then.....shifting gears away from the infamous NJT moderator debate...its time for my quarterly "How we doing on considering a live chat section?"....question..... :wink:

#124473  by Otto Vondrak

Time for my quarterly indifferent answer! To be honest, it hasn't been a top priority. It's still in the back of our minds, though. It's really up to Mike and Jessy, they handle all the development.

#125287  by ANDY117

I wouldn't mind it. I think it'd be kinda cool.