Railroad Forums 

• Problems

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#309122  by Noel Weaver

I guess this is not new but it apparently has hit me, I checked something
on Tri-Rail and it has done a number on my computer.
There seems to continually be problems with spam and undesirable
entries on various subjects here. It is not really under control at least at
this time.
I enjoy my participation on here but it is not worth the risk to my
computer.
I would suggest that you start a system on railroaddotnet so that to post
on here, one needs to be re-registered, all of us. I also suggest that with
this, you begin a slight charge for the priviledge of posting on here. This
should cut out the spam and probably some of the nonsense as well.
I would be willing to pay a charge to continue to participate on here.
As an example, trainordersdotcom charges for the priviledge of posting
and they do not seem to have the problems that take place on here.
There is a possibility that my computer has been damaged by that stuff on
Tri-Rail.
I hope the powers to be will take some kind of "drastic action" to put a
stop to the problems.
Noel Weaver

#309188  by Rockingham Racer

I agree, Noel. This "sender" joined the group yesterday and posted the two links at the TRI-RAIL FORUM yesterday. I alerted Otto yesterday.
My computer wouldn't let me go there fortunately.
 #309194  by jg greenwood

Noel Weaver wrote:I guess this is not new but it apparently has hit me, I checked something
on Tri-Rail and it has done a number on my computer.
There seems to continually be problems with spam and undesirable
entries on various subjects here. It is not really under control at least at
this time.
I enjoy my participation on here but it is not worth the risk to my
computer.
I would suggest that you start a system on railroaddotnet so that to post
on here, one needs to be re-registered, all of us. I also suggest that with
this, you begin a slight charge for the priviledge of posting on here. This
should cut out the spam and probably some of the nonsense as well.
I would be willing to pay a charge to continue to participate on here.
As an example, trainordersdotcom charges for the priviledge of posting
and they do not seem to have the problems that take place on here.
There is a possibility that my computer has been damaged by that stuff on
Tri-Rail.
I hope the powers to be will take some kind of "drastic action" to put a
stop to the problems.
Noel Weaver
I'm in total agreement with these suggestions. After all, you do indeed get what you pay for.

#309291  by GOLDEN-ARM

Another forum I belong to, won't let you post links, or upload anything, until you have achieved 100 posts. This prevents people from joining, to spam, or download viruses. seems to work, as there are no problems, with stuff there.............

#309301  by GOLDEN-ARM

Glad you enjoyed it. I knew that door would open. somehow............ :P

#309302  by JoeG

I think we would lose a lot of good members if there were a charge for posting. An alternative, used by some other forums, is having to have your registration approved by an admin before you can post. What volumes of new members are we talking about? Are the admins willing to do this?

#309305  by jg greenwood

JoeG wrote:I think we would lose a lot of good members if there were a charge for posting. An alternative, used by some other forums, is having to have your registration approved by an admin before you can post. What volumes of new members are we talking about? Are the admins willing to do this?
We might, IMHO, also lose a lot of "foolishness" if railroad.net required a membership fee.

#309338  by umtrr-author

Although charging to join or to post would certainly cut down on the extraneous posts (and that's probably true of every board for that matter), it would also cause others who have something relevant to say to leave as well.

I have noticed a decline in the amount of junk coming in so the gang must be doing something right.

#309378  by CNJ

jg greenwood wrote:
JoeG wrote:I think we would lose a lot of good members if there were a charge for posting. An alternative, used by some other forums, is having to have your registration approved by an admin before you can post. What volumes of new members are we talking about? Are the admins willing to do this?
We might, IMHO, also lose a lot of "foolishness" if railroad.net required a membership fee.
Its a double-edged sword Mr. Greenwood. Yes, a lot of "foolishness" would end, but you would also see a precipitous drop in the amount of posters willing to participate with a cost involved. You can see that trend with one of the major "subscription" rail fan sites on the web.

Perhaps we need to figure out a better way to police ourselves against these spammers.

Does anyone know if we have able to trace any of these renegade IP addresses?

#309388  by jg greenwood

I can well understand your point Mr. CNJ. It's just a shame that some cheese-?ick hosers have nothing better to do than disrupt what others find enjoyable!

#309414  by emd_SD_60

umtrr-author wrote:I have noticed a decline in the amount of junk coming in so the gang must be doing something right.
Come to think of it, I have noticed that as well.

#309470  by Noel Weaver

Yes, there may be a few less users on here but I may need to buy a new
computer if I can't get the problem cleared. If I end up buying a new
computer, you can bet that I will NOT be on railroaddotnet at all for any-
thing until the situation is fully cleared up to my satisfaction.
I do not have a lot of money to buy a new computer only to have
something like this happen again so I will have no alternative but to stay
in the clear.
As long as I am still using my present computer, I will continue to
participate.
Got some wierd stuff on here as I was writing this so there are major
problems here.
Noel Weaver

#309497  by David Benton

Noel , sounds like youve accidently downloaded some popups ( or rather had some fiested on you ). Go to tools in your broswer , and make sure pop up blocker is turned on .

#309669  by keeper1616

Noel - I fail to realize how visiting a site will force you to buy a new computer. A few pop-ups or viruses may damage the software, but the hardware is still good. There should be no reason to spend money on a new computer when all you'd need is a decent browser with pop up and script blocking. I recommend Firefox with noscript installed.