Railroad Forums 

• Ranks- how are they achieved? (was-Posting titles)

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#237653  by pennsy

Hi,

I just noticed that I have a title of Contributor below my name now. Can you give us a breakdown of how many posts are required for each new title ?? Thanks in advance.

#237904  by Reddy Rocker

I believe it is 100-499 = "Contributor", 500-999 = "Veteran", and 1000 or more = "Guru". As for "Site Admin", you'd have to be Otto, Mike or Jessy. :-)

Oh, and one more thing, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't do it anyway, but please don't spam your way to Guru-ness, as that would only get you in trouble anyway.

#238002  by pennsy

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I am surprised that there are only three categories and the vast difference in postings between them. Gives you the impression that it will take several years to get to the top category.

#238076  by benltrain

i reached veteran in sixth months... kind of ironic... i am not the most knowledgable veteran and definently not at the status of many 200-400 post moderators and other people who are very knowledgable railfans.

people can look at the number of posts, as thats exactly what drives the rankings.

Take it from me: Rankings mean MUCH less that some people think

#238323  by pennsy

Hi Benltrain,

Happy Birthday Old Man !!!

Keep riding those R trains. I now ride the Red Line, Blue Line, Green Line, and Gold Lines, as well as Metrolink. I guess I really don't miss the Lexington Ave. Express, or even the old reliable New Lots Line. That was the Broadway-7th Ave. express. Keep the faith however, for when I moved out to Far Rockaway, I met my Mrs. on the E train. However, I had to TAKE The A Train to get to the E train. So, subways are good for things other than just transportation. You might just find your one and only there. By the way, we just celebrated anniversary number 40.

#259923  by benltrain

Look at this, I am now a guru, and my knowledge is nowhere close to that of half the veterans, and I have only been here for 6 months. You can't go around judging who contributes more, but people too often look and say, "ooh look, a guru, he knows more than that veteran". I think guru implies you know a lot, while the other titles do not.

#260533  by MEC407

I've never liked the current ranking system, and benltrain did a good job of stating why. There are folks on here who have made thousands of posts, but for some of those folks, 95% of their posts are just "me too" crap that doesn't mean anything. That hardly makes them gurus. If anything, I'd rather that the ranks be based on how long the person has been a member, rather than how many posts they've made. Or just get rid of ranks all together, and let the person's date of joining the site and number of posts speak for themselves.

#260538  by Reddy Rocker

MEC407 wrote:I've never liked the current ranking system, and benltrain did a good job of stating why. There are folks on here who have made thousands of posts, but for some of those folks, 95% of their posts are just "me too" crap that doesn't mean anything. That hardly makes them gurus. If anything, I'd rather that the ranks be based on how long the person has been a member, rather than how many posts they've made. Or just get rid of ranks all together, and let the person's date of joining the site and number of posts speak for themselves.
That is actually a good idea. Another forum that I frequent for a different hobby has a "Karma" system where only one point per day is awarded rather than one point per post. That way, the higher levels would actually have been around longer. Of course, this would not be easy to implement as UBB boards typically don't have that feature available.

#264117  by steemtrayn

Eventually, we will all be gurus.

#273417  by Tadman

In another forum I belong to, we call those people spamming their way to guru or continually posting nonsense threads "post-whores". This particular forum has a automotive theme and an audience of mostly 16-30 year old guys, so the discipline is pretty relaxed there, although we ban the occasional shmuck.

#273499  by Mike Roque

Reddy Rocker wrote:Of course, this would not be easy to implement as UBB boards typically don't have that feature available.
This board runs on phpBB, y'know... ;)

#273903  by Otto Vondrak

I personally dont like the ranking system either because it calls people "gurus" just because they post a lot. However, no one could agree on rank titles, so we're stuck with the current system. I think we had this discussion once before?

-otto-

#274000  by MEC407

Why not just get rid of ranks, then? Let the user's number of posts speak for itself?

#274031  by Rockingham Racer

Good idea / Bonne idee / Buena idea

In other words, sounds good to me!