Railroad Forums 

• Random Crashes and Hangs

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#183451  by LIRailfan79

is it just me or does this site seem to crash an awfull lot. it seems like that most of the day on Monday November 7th the site was down. and it has happened a lot in the past.
i suppose you could say its a positive sign, i mean maybe there is so much traffic to the site that the server can't handle it for extended periods of time. i would suggest a server upgrade but i know that can be VERY expensive, esp for a site that does not charge a membership fee (and i would opt to keep it that way, even if it means putting up with frequent crashes and outages).

#184099  by Otto Vondrak

The RAILROAD.NET servers are run by a contract company in California. Mike Roque can answer more technical questions about the what's and why's.

We look forward to your donations to help keep the lights on at your favorite railfan web site...

-otto-

#184112  by Mike Roque

We have a problem where the server hangs every few days...usually about every week. We've worked with our host, but to make a long story short, neither of us is sure of exactly what is causing the problem.

The problem is easy to fix...it just requires a manual restart, but that requires intervention from me, so sometimes it takes me a few hours or a day or two from when I find out about it to get it done.

We're working on a solution to the problem, but we would like to find out the cause first.

#184253  by LIRailfan79

Otto Vondrak wrote:The RAILROAD.NET servers are run by a contract company in California. Mike Roque can answer more technical questions about the what's and why's.

We look forward to your donations to help keep the lights on at your favorite railfan web site...

-otto-
i'll make a donation, but that link you put in your message doesn't really explain how to go about donating to RR.net.