Railroad Forums 

• The "News & Announcements" forum

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#168239  by pgengler

I want to start this off by stating that I'm just expressing an opinion here, and not trying to tell you guys how to run this (great) site; my tone may seem like I'm trying to tell you what's best, but I'm not (the tone comes from having run/been on staff for/read several other forums). There are a lot of things I would do differently, but this isn't my site, so I generally keep my mouth shut; this is one thing I feel is worth mentioning, at the very least to try to get some discussion about it to find a consensus, if one exists (and I'm perfectly willing to be "wrong").

With that excessively long preface out of the way (I just don't want to come across as having a "holier than thou" attitude), here's my comment(s):

There seems to be a disconnect between the content of the "News & Announcements" forum (which seems to be occassional posts about major train-related events, like the Acela problem or the recent Metra derailment) and its description field ("Read me before you post anywhere!"). It seems to me that most users can get by just fine without knowing about this stuff (and indeed, are likely to either find out anyway (via other sources or through the particular forum here, where there's also discussion and usually more information) or not particularly care), and that the News & Announcements forum could/should be reserved for the occasional update about the site status (or something like the Katrina relief post).

The posts there also seem redundant. I mentioned that people can get the same information from the appropriate forum here, and most of the time, there's more information and the discussion that goes along with it.

Perhaps the forums could be split, into "Site Announcements" and "Railroad News"?

#168921  by Otto Vondrak

We appreciate your input!

Most of the topics that I post are subjects that I think will be of general interest to our membership. We don't intend to post on every derailment or minor mishap that occurs on the rails, but from time to time, we will post topics of importance that range from national disasters to model railroad news to the occasional derailment or major announcement. Mike posts same, and he will usually post when there will be a site service disruption, update, or feature install.

-otto-

#168927  by pgengler

Thanks, Otto. Having put a little more thought into it, it just seems like a disconnect between the forum description ("read this before posting" makes it seem like all forum-related stuff) and the content (which does indeed, I finally realized, contain both "News" and "Announcements").