Railroad Forums 

• Engine car comes within 1" of falling off bridge today

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1532219  by ConstanceR46

Nah i don't get this post at all. Yeah, we know journalism about trains sucks. So does journalism about planes. Why make up a fake scenario in your head to scream at it? This has like, no relevance to trains whatsoever and instead exists for you to pat yourself on the back for being Smart and Getting It. Not to mention the "fake article" is written worse than most real clickbait.

"Also, I'M NOT A BOOMER. I'm 38." is such a funny line tho. I can feel the anger coursing through your veins as you typed that.
 #1532266  by Tadman

ConstanceR46 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 pm Nah i don't get this post at all. Yeah, we know journalism about trains sucks.
We've always had spotty reporting about trains. But at one time reporters did a decent overall job of reporting. Perhaps the reporter got a few details wrong that only a buff or railroader would miss, but it painted an accurate picture.

Today, the situation is different. Reporters take a sliver of detail, no context or background, some tweets and press releases which anybody can find, and call it a story.

Consider this - from my "reporting", I used the term "engine car". That's getting a detail wrong but it doesn't change the story, and that's a typical mistake I've seen for years. They also are known for calling an engineer a "driver" or "conductor". None of that changes the story. If a reporter were to write a story assessing the cause of the Cascade derailment, and referred to the engineer as the driver, it does not change the analysis of the training issues in question.

In contrast, reporting that a train came within 1" of falling off a bridge is absolutely correct, and absolutely terrifying, but ignores the fact that it happens all time. Trains have 1" wheel flanges, from the heaviest coal train to the fastest TGV. There are engineers that look at this and certify it at the consulting level, government level, railroad level, car manufacturer level, and wheel manufacturer level, and probably a few universities look at it as well. Throwing out useless and grossly misleading true facts does not help the public to understand real safety issues around them, and that's not cool.
 #1532283  by Jeff Smith

I cleaned up the he said/she said. If you don't like a thread, remember, it's the internet, just scroll past. But for now, I'm going to leave this locked.