Railroad Forums 

• X-Train: Las Vegas Railway Express / United Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1495102  by electricron

Anthony wrote:If they were able to get over the congested Cajon Pass, why don't they run this train to LAUPT.
I thought they were per that last link...
"The X Train will start in Los Angeles and use existing railroad tracks with “the possibility of utilizing the [San Bernardino Santa Fe] depot as an origination point for operations,” according to presentation documents with the San Bernardino County Transportation Authority."
 #1495104  by electricron

RRspatch wrote:Who exactly owns LAUPT? Is it Amtrak or the LA MTA?
Per Wiki:
"In February 2011, the board of the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) approved the purchase of Union Station from Prologis and Catellus Development (a descendant of the Santa Fe and Southern Pacific railroads) for $75 million. The deal was closed on 14 April 2011."
 #1510693  by Jeff Smith

Here's some news: https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ect--57750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not to be confused with XpressWest, which Virgin/Brightline has purchased: Brightline (fka XpressWest/DesertXpress) Las Vegas Service
United Rail launches Las Vegas Xpress project

United Rail Inc. announced yesterday it has begun work on the Las Vegas Xpress project, a passenger-rail service between Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

"The Las Vegas Xpress will be a part of a new passenger operations division at United Rail," said Chief Executive Officer Michael Barron in a press release. "Las Vegas Xpress joins the X Wine Railroad wine train excursion, which was acquired in March of this year and our Polar Bear Express excursion trains."
 #1517570  by Jeff Smith

Um.... wow! Didn't see this coming: ReviewJournal.com
Amtrak, Las Vegas Xpress in talks over planned luxury rail project

The company behind a luxury rail line service between Las Vegas and Southern California said operations will not begin in November as hoped, but the X-Train project could get on track next summer with a major new partner.

Las Vegas Xpress Inc., the company behind what previously was called X-Train, has been in talks with Amtrak about a possible collaboration on the long-planned train project, both parties confirmed.

“Amtrak has had discussions with Las Vegas Xpress, formerly known as X-Train, and is exploring an operations agreement between Amtrak and Las Vegas Xpress,” said Olivia Irvin, Amtrak spokeswoman.

Michael Barron, chairman and CEO of Las Vegas Xpress Inc., said the rail project is now projected to get underway in July.

“I am scheduling to run in July 2020 as an Amtrak train,” Barron said
 #1549493  by Jeff Smith

For the life of me, I can't find the original topic. But here's some news:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/ ... e-2086091/
Called the Las Vegas Xpress, Barron’s train was slated to go online this month after initially being delayed from a November 2019 kickoff. Now Barron says it will be operational in the spring.
A train ride would take about 5½ hours traveling 79 mph, considerably longer than Virgin Trains USA’s planned high-speed train, which is expected to run from Victorville, California, to Las Vegas in approximately 90 minutes. A typical all-inclusive round trip, including food and beverage service, would cost $500, Barron said.
“Our model service is an experience for our traveler,” Barron said. “Our project costs $100 million, not billions. We are comfortable in our space as the excursion on the route on existing tracks.”

Last year X-Train announced it was exploring an operational agreement with Amtrak for the line, something that Barron said is ongoing. Barron said the delay in the planned start date was due to Amtrak shutting down service amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Union Pacific Railroad and United Rail Inc. (Barron) have been in discussions about a proposed privately operated passenger rail service between Las Vegas and Los Angeles,” Espinoza said. “The parties do not yet have a signed agreement, but our discussions continue.”

Original plans had the rail line running from Las Vegas to Santa Fe Station in San Bernardino, where commuters could continue into other Southern California cities, including Los Angeles. But those plans have been altered and Barron now says the line would end at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles, at Amtrak’s request.
 #1549774  by electricron

Virgin, DesertXpress, or whatever they wish to be called, is planning multiple high speed rail trips per day between Victorville and Las Vegas. X-train or XpressWest, or whatever they wish to be called, was planning a once a week round trip at speeds 79 mph or less between LA and LV. Whether they plan daily or multiple trips per day was not addressed in the latest news article - but I do not think UP would be granting more than one round trip per day. I think they are still planning on just one round trip per week, a Friday departure from LA and a Sunday departure from LV.

While both are planning passenger rail services, frequencies and speeds of the trains are entirely different in scope.
 #1549842  by gokeefe

I have to admit I lost track of the fact that there were two companies with two separate proposals for the same city pair. Amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk