Railroad Forums 

• They Got Away!!! Trains discontinued before we rode

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1547720  by MattW

I'm only 30, but mine is the Georgia Railroad mixed train Atlanta <-> Augusta through my hometown of Conyers. It ended 7 years before I was born, by then it was just an un-airconditioned, un-lighted, and un-comfortable coach tucked in front of the caboose, but it still would have been neat to do at least once and see the world from the railroad.
 #1547850  by John Laubenheimer

A couple of 'novelties' ...

Golden State (Limited) - CRI&P & SP
Erie Limited (or Lake Cities) - Erie/EL

and some that I have ridden parts of ...

Mainstreeter - NP (I rode Amtrak's North Coast Hiawatha, which used GN's Cascade Tunnel routing, NP's Butte routing instead of Helena, and, of course, Minneapolis-Chicago via the CMStP&P instead of the CB&Q)
Olympian Hiawatha - CMStP&P
Panama Limited - IC
 #1547965  by Westernstar1

I would have to go with the Olympian Hiawatha, during the mid 1950s.

Just to throw out something a little different, I would have loved to have ridden the Camas Prairie Railroad. It was mainly in Northern Idaho and was known as the "railroad on stilts" because of the number of high trestles along the way:

https://is.gd/I7fz6Y

It was a joint venture for both UP and NP.

You can get a glimpse of the tremendous scenery along the route if you watch the movie, "Breakheart Pass", with Charles Bronson (1975). It was filmed on a couple of branches of the Camas Prairie RR. The railroad did offer passenger service, for a while, but low ridership caused the passenger service to be discontinued.

Richard
 #1548566  by Mollie

Way too many! Queensland used to have a number of mixed trains I would have loved to ride, and I'm upset I missed the Pioneer and the Desert Wind. Mexico used to have some awesome trips I'm sad I missed too!
 #1548619  by GSC

On a smaller scale perhaps.

The Pennsy Doodlebug ran by my house every morning and evening from Red Bank NJ to Trenton and return. I always wanted to ride it but never did before it was discontinued in 1964.

I'm old enough to remember the last of the PRR K4s running on the NY & Long Branch RR but I never rode behind one.