Railroad Forums 

• Whistle posts--federal law?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1323656  by Watchman318

I thought signs were required by Maine law (Title 23, Sec. 7214), but the statute actually just says that the whistle and bell must be sounded beginning at a distance of 990 feet from the crossing.
Is there anything similar in federal regulations, and can anyone point me to the title and section?
 #1323659  by rovetherr

#1323667  by DutchRailnut

Whistle post are not a federal requirement, railroads use them to force crews to keep to certain distance.
I believe some railroads removed the Whistle post when rules changed about 4 or 5 years ago
 #1323715  by Watchman318

rovetherr wrote:More than you could ever want to know about Locomotive horn and bell use at crossings (49 CFR, Subtitle B, Chapter II, Part 222, Subpart B, Subsection 222.21(2) for the exact reference you are looking for.)
I figured it would probably be "somewhere in Title 49," but was too lazy to go digging around for it when I was also pretty sure someone here would know right where to look. :wink:
DutchRailnut wrote:Whistle post are not a federal requirement, railroads use them to force crews to keep to certain distance.
I believe some railroads removed the Whistle post when rules changed about 4 or 5 years ago
Okay; you were at the top of the list of those I expected would know whether the signs were required by any law, or just placed as a handy reminder for engineers. :-)

Thanks, guys.