Railroad Forums 

• North American Dispatching Centers

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1328364  by docsteve

2nd trick op wrote:If memory serves me correctly, I was told at one time that these functions were once handled by a center in Milwaukee, but I can't confirm it. And a pending sale of the "Sunbury Sub" to NS would likely result in another move.
The D&H dispatchers were moved from Colonie, N.Y. (just outside Albany) to Milwaukee before the move to Minneapolis.
 #1328617  by 2nd trick op

Can anyone bring us up to date on Norfolk Southern? NS was, at one time, the only major carrier not moving toward one single, centralized facility, but the trend appears to have reversed itself in a few (admittedly special and limited) instances on BNSF and CSX.

If memory serves me correctly, Penn Central and Conrail used to control the former "Middle" (or Allegheny)and Pittsburgh Divisions from an old office building in Altoona, then moved the operation to the GreenTree section of Pittsburgh. And according to this month's Trains, a lot of the responsibilities are now being moved to Harrisburg.