Railroad Forums 

• North American Dispatching Centers

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1310402  by MattW

Look up Union Pacific's "bunker" in Omaha, NB. I understand CSX is centralized to Jacksonville, but I'm not sure where.
 #1310420  by amtrakhogger

MattW wrote:Look up Union Pacific's "bunker" in Omaha, NB. I understand CSX is centralized to Jacksonville, but I'm not sure where.
CSX also has dispatching offices in Selkirk NY and Baltimore MD.
 #1310511  by Backshophoss

BNSF,UP,and Metrolink(SCAX)together,possibly at San Bernardino for the Los Angles Basin operations
BNSF at Fort Worth TX,Backup center reportly at Topeka Ks.
 #1313276  by RRspatch

BNSF -

Main center at Fort Worth, Texas

Satellite centers at -

Kansas City.
Joint with UPRR and Kansas City Terminal Railroad.
NS and KCS declined to join.

Spring, Texas (outside of Houston)
Joint with UPRR

San Bernardino, California
Joint with UPRR
Metrolink asked to join but declined.
 #1321095  by Appalachianrailroads

MattW wrote:Look up Union Pacific's "bunker" in Omaha, NB. I understand CSX is centralized to Jacksonville, but I'm not sure where.
It "was" centralized but they split it up a few years ago.

CSX ones I'm aware of that haven't been mentioned here yet.

Huntington, WV
Florence, SC
Indianapolis, IN

NS

Bluefield, WV
Dearborn, Mi
 #1321912  by RRspatch

Appalachianrailroads wrote:
It "was" centralized but they split it up a few years ago.
CSXT Florida division is still there in Jacksonville.

CSX ones I'm aware of that haven't been mentioned here yet.

Huntington, WV
Florence, SC
Indianapolis, IN

Add Halethorpe (just out side of Baltimore)
Add Selkirk (just outside of Albany)

NS

Bluefield, WV
Dearborn, Mi[/quote]
 #1322407  by mvb119

Steve F45 wrote:NJ Transit is in Kearny, NJ

Metro North is in Manhattan in Grand Central Terminal

Long Island Railroad is in Penn Station in NYC.
There are no dispatching centers in Penn Station itself. Despite being called Penn Station Central Control, the control center is in a completely separate building, and it is an Amtrak owned facility maintained by Amtrak personnel. (myself included) Although it is a joint venture where dispatching is split between Amtrak and Long Island Railroad dispatchers, but only on the stretches shared with LIRR trains. Everything west of Penn Station is all under Amtrak dispatcher control. LIRR's main dispatching facility is in Jamaica, Queens. LIRR trains can only be controlled from PSCC as far east as Harold Interlocking, everything east of that is controlled from Jamaica.
 #1322501  by Desertdweller

Don't forget the ARDC (American Rail Dispatching Center) located in the ancient railroad station in St. Albans, VT. This center handles dispatching on contract for an assortment of short lines and regional railroads. It is run by Tom Murphy, a nice guy, by the way.

I used to work for several short lines and regionals that were dispatched by ARDC. These guys did a very professional and efficient job, and I'm sure they still do.

Les
 #1327990  by 2nd trick op

According to some friends of mine who monitor the CP/NS "South End" (former Delaware and Hudson and PRR south of Wilkes-Barre), this line is now dispatched from a center in Minneapolis, along with the Wisconsin Central (former Soo Line), and possibly some other CP properties on the American side of the border.

If memory serves me correctly, I was told at one time that these functions were once handled by a center in Milwaukee, but I can't confirm it. And a pending sale of the "Sunbury Sub" to NS would likely result in another move.