Railroad Forums 

• Need Help, Looking for info on NS/CSX main lines Philadelphi

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1003458  by lake-shore-limited

Hello, I'm new to the Philadelphia area & looking for main lines for NS & CSX for train watching near the area (Reading, Lancaster, Philly, etc). I believe the NS Harrisburgh Line comes down near here, but, not at all familar with this area. Also would like te radio frequencies for scanner. I appreciate everyone's time.
 #1003771  by bluedash2

lake-shore-limited wrote:Hello, I'm new to the Philadelphia area & looking for main lines for NS & CSX for train watching near the area (Reading, Lancaster, Philly, etc). I believe the NS Harrisburgh Line comes down near here, but, not at all familar with this area. Also would like te radio frequencies for scanner. I appreciate everyone's time.
Phliadelphia is pretty much CSX and a little CSAO. Yes the NS Harrisburg Line goes to East Falls Yard where the Schukyll Exp meets Rt 1 (Roosevelt Blvd), then it becomes CSX's Trenton Sub. There's not too much NS freight other than 38/39G to and from Camden NJ, and what ever Stone or Coal trains (mostly 506/507 turn to Carney's Point NJ) they run -mainly stone more than coal these days. Your best bet is to railfan the CSX Trenton Line. The Delair Branch into NJ is CSAO (CR Shared Assests) from CP Park on east and CSX to the west of there. I don't have the CSX/NS freq''s on hand (I believe it's 160.960 for CSX) but CR is 161.070. You also have the NS Morrisville Line ans NS only runs into Reading and Lancaster. Oh BTW, NS serves the Venice IT (Roxborough/Manayunk) during the late AM/early PM hrs off the Harrisburg Line and they can only go onto the branch with just an SW unit-usually the ex-CR SW1001's- due to poor track. That should help you a little bit, but as I said earlier your best bet is to go CSX or the CR locals in the South Jersey area.
 #1003774  by bluedash2

And before I forget, CSX Q-190 stack train goes up the Harrisburg line to NS' Abrams Yard behind the King of Prussia Mall (Henderson Rd) for now due to height clearances on the Trenton Line that CSX is close to solving. They then run around their train at Abrams then go up the Morrisville Line to Woodbourne-(pronounced Woodburn)-where the Trenton Line goes under it- and rejoins the Trenton Line. Normally a daylight run, has been running at night due to trackwork on the Morrisville Line. Q-191 returns a lot later, usually nighttime this time of year.
 #1006603  by NellieBly

Well, there are numerous good railfan spots in the region. It depends what you want to see. If it's freight, best choices are along the former Reading New York Branch in Bucks County (try the bridge over the Delaware in Yardley, or the West Trenton SEPTA station). Anywhere west of Abrams Yard on the Reading Line will get you a fair amount of NS traffic. Valley Forge is a good spot (the passenger station is still there).

For passenger traffic, I'd go to Frankford Junction, where there are several good locations for shooting Amtrak and SEPTA trains. If you're lucky, you may catch one of the ACES trains changing ends (check the timetable). Be careful, it's not the best area, but you'll be safe in daylight.

Lancaster will get you nothing but Amtrak and local freight. Reading will get some heavy NS traffic. Try CP "Burn" west of Allentown Yard. A local railfan group has an annual picnic there.

South Jersey has some Conrail locals, but traffic on the branches tends to be relatively infrequent. Check railfan publications for frequencies and schedules. A ride on the River Line is recommended. You'll run parallel to the Conrail line out of Pavonia Yard, and there is generally some activity in mid-afternoon.

The CSX line (former B&O) south of Philadelphia is fairly busy as well. A good spot is the point where a SEPTA trolley line crosses CSX at grade. This is the only trolley crossing of a main line Class I rail line of which I'm aware.

Have fun!