Railroad Forums 

• Old Chester Valley connection at Bridgeport removed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#997921  by rob216

What law says SEPTA cant sell a line? East Penn owns the line but SEPTA still holds passenger rights to it. I think that's what the agreement was when East Penn bought the line. As for the line being abandon anytime soon, NO. Not a chance at all. There has been a lot of money spent on this line to get it to where it is now. Back when they first got the line, the trains spent more time one the ground then the rail. So many other railroads in the past did nothing to line to keep it up. There may be few customers on the line, but there is also so much potential to this line and the area. Could we see passenger service on this line again? I think there may be a chance someday. If you really want to know more, just send me a PM and I will try to help out. Just don't start bashing a railroad if things don't go the way YOU think they should go.
 #998083  by Pacobell73

rob216 wrote:East Penn owns the line but SEPTA still holds passenger rights to it.
SEPTA has no plans for expansion anywhere except the Wawa line, and that is on hold.
rob216 wrote:There may be few customers on the line, but there is also so much potential to this line and the area.
I agree 10x over. However, OATS has reached out to Sr. Management at East Penn and the response has been poor. Also, explain the handling the Boyertown line. Never did East Penn return calls.

I am merely questioning questionable business practices. Abandoning two lines right from the get-go, rather than either trying to grow business on them or holding onto them for the future, is not progressive or good long-range planning for the region. Like the Octoraro, there were few customers on Boyertown, but that did not stop East Penn from abandonding it. If there is something I missing in their actions, please let me know as it appears you work for them.
 #998118  by pistolpete66

i have been watching this thread with interest. What is fascinating is that East Penn, in an apparent effort to make money by abandoning some lines, tnen saw fit to purchase the Octoraro line, rather than merely operate trains over SEPTA-owned track, like they are now doing with the Lansdale cluster.

SEPTA came close to leasing the Octoraro line out a a rail trail due to its poor condition and minimal traffic. Now East Penn decides to buy a line in poor shape with minimal traffic---which is exactly what the Boyertown line was.

this may be premature but knowing what great money East Penn got from abandoning the Boyertown and Chester Valley lines, it would make perfect economic sense to purchase an ailing line (Octoraro), run a few trains, then abandon it to make far more money by selling it. if they selling it to chester county, they will make money...if, like the Chester Vly, they abandon it outright and then it is purchased by MontCo for a trail, they still make some good money for those rails (i saw what pacobell was refering to...all the crossings have been stripped of its rail...east penn did squeeze every dollar in sales out of that 2mile line).

the Octoraro has very little freight traffic (though much potential). given the east penn's poor track record of growing business on quiet lines (the landsale cluster does not count because the NH&I are in that deal), the Octoraro is on borrowed time.

east penn essentially bought the line to pull a National city Lines...time will tell...
 #999435  by lvrr325

rob216 wrote:What law says SEPTA cant sell a line?
He said Septa can't ABANDON a line. Apparently they can sell one, because they sold the one in question. It does help to read the post you're replying to.

I'm sure they make these deals to buy the lines cheap, then scrap the steel from it because that's been at all time highs for months... that steel is like money in the bank, it's not going anywhere. Rails, tie plates, bridges, signal equipment, etc. - then sell the land for a trail for the same money they paid to buy it. It's actually fairly good business if you don't give a damn about trying to be a railroad.