Railroad Forums 

• Looking for info on the Susquehanna & New York

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#687699  by Conrail25

Hi all. Some of you may remember me as Railfan Andy. It's still me, just a different screen name. The White Deer Historical Society has asked me to do a presentation on the Susquehanna & New York railroad. I am looking for as much information as possible. I am using google, but as you may well know, google doesn't always give the exact details. I am looking for trains numbers, time tables, route maps, rolling stock, locomotives... Anything like that. Is there a website about the S&NY? Thanks in advance!

-Andy
 #689320  by GSC

There was a book published a few years ago on the S&NY. My father bought one at the railroad museum that used to be in Sayre PA. I recall the title was simply "The Susquehanna and New York RR" or similar. Maybe you can find it on eBay.
 #695053  by Aa3rt

Hi Andy,

I'm so sorry I somehow managed to miss your query until now. I've been fascinated by the Susquehanna and New York since I first learned of the line while attending jr. college in Williamsport in 1971. I found a copy of Edward L. Kaseman's book on the S&NY in a department store in downtown Williamsport. My first job after graduating in 1973 was in Towanda, the northern terminus of the line.

Here's a link to a little "photoessay" on the S&NY of photos and memoribilia from my meager collection that I posted at another website:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1176941950

I've seen a lot of S&NY photos, as well as copies of Kaseman's book, show up on eBay frequently. Some items I've been seriously outbid on so there are others out there that have an interest in the S&NY as well.

Two pieces of S&NY equipment survive today, 2-8-0 #116, built for the S&NY in 1916 was sold to the Meridian & Bigbee River Railroad in Mississippi and eventually ended up at the Jimmie Rodgers Museum, also in Meridian, MS.

Caboose #15 was sold to the Arcade & Attica in Arcade, NY.

Regarding the book by Kaseman-there have been 3 printings of the book. The first came out in the 1940's, not long after the line was abandoned in 1942. This book, largely unchanged, was reprinted in the mid-1960's.

EDIT Jul. 22 A little digging through my "archives" this evening reveals that the first printing was in August 1941, 9 months BEFORE the line was abandonded. The second printing is from 1963.

Kaseman expanded the book in the 1970's for the 3rd and 4th editions to fit the format of the series of books then being printed on the Logging Railroad Era of Lumbering in Pennsylvania. The 4th edition has a dedication to Steve Van Gorder who took many photographs of the line but is largely unchanged from the 3rd. This book shows up on eBay from time to time.

EDIT Jul. 22 The 3rd edition was printed in 1979. Actually there was no 4th edition, the 4th printing (which I believe was the final one) was in 1990 and was dedicated to Mr. Van Gorder who died in 1986.

Additionally, if you can find a copy of Bill Caloroso's book on the Pennsylvania Railroad's Elmira Branch there's a chapter devoted to the S&NY there. (I've been looking for a copy of this book myself. It's out of print and prices are astronomical!)

An issue of Trains Magazine from 1941 or 1942 had a long article on the S&NY, will provide details later.

EDIT Jul. 22 It was the January 1943 issue, a thoroughly enjoyable read.

PS-I'm writing from work and am going on memory-some small details may have been "misremembered"-I'll proof this entry once I get home and can get a hold of my reference material.
Last edited by Aa3rt on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #696815  by Aa3rt

The LV and S&NY shared trackage south from Towanda to Monroeton, the LV's line running to Dushore, a part of the original State Line and Sullivan branch while the S&NY continued southwest towards a connection with the PRR.

When the S&NY was abandoned, the LV took over the trackage. The extension to Dushore was washed out by Hurricane Agnes in 1972.

More on the Towanda-Monroeton Shipper's Lifeline here:

http://www.geocities.com/chrischamberlain1/TMSL.html
 #1114018  by Aa3rt

Are they posted anywhere? I'd enjoy seeing them as I'm sure others would.
 #1114326  by Schuylkill Valley

I found this on Ebay, better grab it while you still can, Andy.
Story Of The Susquehanna & New York Railroad by Edward L. Kaseman 2nd print 1968
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Story-Of-The-Su ... 564ed2432d

VINTAGE SUSQUEHANNA & NEW YORK RAILROAD CO, 1000 MILE TICKET 1916
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SUSQUEH ... 460a9ba3c2

Len.
 #1114367  by Aa3rt

Schuylkill Valley wrote:I found this on Ebay, better grab it while you still can, Andy.
Story Of The Susquehanna & New York Railroad by Edward L. Kaseman 2nd print 1968
That should read 2nd printing 1963. If you are really interested in this line I'd recommend that you pick up the third edition of this book which was greatly expanded in 1979, with many more photos, to be a companion volume to the Logging Railroad Era in Pennsylvania series. It shows up on eBay with some regularity at various prices. The most recent pressing, that I'm aware of, is the fourth printing of the third edition, printed in 1990. The author, Edward L. Kaseman, has been deceased for some time.

There are a couple of copies of the third edition on eBay right now, you should be able to find a copy for around $20.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Story-of-the-Su ... 4d069b4887