Railroad Forums 

• Mastodon (4-8-0)

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#1394459  by b&m 1566

I was browsing the internet and came across a photo of a 4-8-0 that caught my attention. http://www.rwrightrr.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=3217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never seen pictures of a 12 wheeler with drivers that were big like these. The leading axles look to be similar in size as the the axles on the tender. A quick comparison to that of the Strasburg Rail's 4-8-0 the leading axles are noticeably smaller because of the smaller drivers.
What company built these size 4-8-0's? I realize this is a railroad in Mexico but would like to know if any US railroads had these types of 4-8-0 too?
 #1394467  by NorthWest

NdeM 3002 is a PR-8, built by Baldwin in 1935(!). No other railroads purchased similar locomotives, or 4-8-0s after about 1915, for that matter.

I've always liked the PR-8s.
 #1394477  by b&m 1566

From what I can gather these engines for this railroad were retired in 1962 and 63. Are any of them around still?
 #1394611  by Allen Hazen

Railways in different countries seem to have had different views about the wheel arrangements appropriate for different services. I believe that in France, between WW I and WW II, a class of 4-6-2 were rebuilt (under Chapelon's direction) as 4-8-0 … for express passenger service!
 #1394659  by NorthWest

I should always add the 'in North America' caveat because the rest of the world, particularly Europe, had differing ideas. Italy, for example, almost completely avoided the four-wheel front truck.

NdeM had its other quirks, though, my favorite being the high speed simple 2-6-6-2s. A pity they weren't used elsewhere.