Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Valley Type 3 Station list

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1042451  by nydepot

Different type. 2 extra dormers per side and a dormer on the end rather than a recessed window.

I think these are going to be north of Van Etten Jct on the Buffalo line with a few branch lines having them that were built after the Buffalo line. For example, the Rochester and Hemlock lines had them but the Naples branch didn't.

The first Rochester Jct. station was a type 3 before they built the 2 story one that lasted until 1973.

Charles
 #1042568  by nydepot

Thanks to Rich Jahn at the ARHS for a better explanation of station types:

"...the designation came from the architect who designed these "standard" Buffalo Division stations. There were three versions of the standard station which differed in size. The largest ones such as the one located at Batavia was a type 1, then there was a medium size which was a type 2 and the smallest and most common was the type 3."

Type 3 was also used in Noxen PA and Montrose PA.

What I've found is if a line was built prior to the Buffalo Main, it has other station types. Only if a station needed replacing (burned, etc.) would a station of the Buffalo Type possibly have been built to replace it.

That's why the stations on the old EC&N, etc don't match this type.

Charles
 #1043743  by Kendaia1

Next we come to Burdett, where the LV station looks like this today

pics from lvrr.com

Too bad this old station couldn't be aquired... it looks like a great candidate for restoration, it looks like the roof has been kept in decent repair, although the dormers are missing. I wonder if they were removed by LV or the company that owns it now...
Last edited by Kendaia1 on Tue May 08, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1043746  by Kendaia1

Travelling west up the main we come next to Hector, NY, high on the hill over Seneca Lake, in vineyard and orchard country. Here's Hector Station all handsome and new

lvrr.com

Now that i look at it, is Hector Station larger than the others? the roof on the ends is sloped, with dormers, unlike the others. i wonder if this is a type 2 station; it's not as big as type 1 Batavia, but seems larger than the other type 3 examples.
Last edited by Kendaia1 on Tue May 08, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1043749  by Kendaia1

Rolling gradually downhill, westward along the main, the next LV station would be Caywood, NY. This is right in modern day wine country, along the Seneca Lake Wine trail.

image from old depot gallery.com

Scenes of this locale seem to be quite rare, this is the only view of Caywood I've seen, except a drawing that hangs on the wall in the Wagner Winery building, just above the Caywood Station site a bit. The Elevator bldg. in the background is still there, along with a few other buildings that used to line the tracks in Caywood. The scene depicts an eastbound freight, heading to Sayre
 #1043978  by Kendaia1

A few more miles westward down the main, after crossing the cathedral of Mill Creek Gorge, would be the LVRR Lodi Station.

image from lodiny.com

The eastbound Black Diamond passing Lodi Station
image from lodihistoricalsociety.com
 #1044012  by Kendaia1

you're welcome, I quite enjoy it. i was hoping someone else did too... I'm just wondering if we're breaking any forum rules, if this belongs in the LV- ahem, I mean ANTHRACITE forum. but it is all in NY State, so we're probably OK i guess