Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1387805  by ccutler

They do have the NYSW bypass they can use to avoid most of the commuter traffic. The NYSW could not be described at a "tangent track route" and I would guess that the extra curves and hills probably cost an extra hour or two in travel time.
 #1387816  by oibu

Oh dear God give it up.

A pair of intermodals to Ayer is a pair of intermodals to Ayer. Just because Ford updates a car for the new model year doesn't mean they "added a whole new additional model". You don't seem to get it.

DONE. NO MORE. Southern Tier East End only talk here, please already.
 #1387823  by Matt Langworthy

You obviously DO NOT KNOW what you are talking about. Yes, NS 205 and 206 exist, but they are completely separate trains from NS 22K and 23K. All 4 trains are active symbols on the Tier at this time.
 #1387827  by Matt Langworthy

SecaucusJunction wrote:14 westbound and 13 eastbound on the schedule per day, meaning there is also one eastbound deadhead back to Hoboken. I believe when Conrail/NS used to run the occasional train over the east end, the passenger traffic was about half of what it is now.
Thanks! I'm guessing that is why NS has been hesitant to run traffic between Binghmaton and Corxoton on a regular basis.
ccutler wrote:They do have the NYSW bypass they can use to avoid most of the commuter traffic. The NYSW could not be described at a "tangent track route" and I would guess that the extra curves and hills probably cost an extra hour or two in travel time.

Agreed. The NYSW would probably make a good alternate route for traffic that is less time sensitive.
 #1387828  by oibu

Matt, when you catch your tail let us all know :wink:

You just keep splitting hairs and using strawmen to try to convince us that less trains is still more. Baffle em with BS tactics. The total number is still less and we all know it, regardless of whether it one is called train XYZ today and train 123 tomorrow.

If anyone finds out there will be more trains east of Binghamton let us know!
 #1387830  by Matt Langworthy

You just won't let it go, will you? In the interest of being topical, I will quote in the Southern Tier West sobofrum, where it would be more appropriate.
 #1387839  by SecaucusJunction

So how about that Southern TIer East of Binghamton.......

Got a lot of empty track out there.
 #1388198  by ccutler

Southern Tier East of Binghamton has huge potential but would require a huge investment relaying a second track east of Port Jervis to provide adequate capacity for both freight and passenger trains. Who wants to deploy that much capital before the traffic flows can be seen? I suspect NS could run container trains for Buffalo up along the Delaware river, but if the tracks are only Tier 2, they might prefer routing them through Allentown and up to Binghamton.

Until then, the line will probably be very quiet, with just the occasional NYSW train passing through. Hopefully the west end of the Southern Tier will get busier with a growing connection to the New England markets. There's a long way to go building that business up, and it's nothing near what was going on two generations ago at the Maybrook connections.