Railroad Forums 

• Derelict Pullman in Remsen NY?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#772290  by nydepot

It's an Olympic video. Did you mean to post something else?
 #772318  by goodnightjohnwayne

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Anyone know anything about this 12 Sec Pullman just waiting to be restored?
If you're referring to the long derelict car at Remsen, I think it's beyond hope. If you look at the window arrangement, it was some sort of oddball all room car.
 #772332  by Kuyahoora Valley

It's an Olympic video. Did you mean to post something else?
I'm glad he posted it...showed the Pullman, plus the clock and water tower at the Remsen Depot on national news. Very cool. The video is about Erin Hamlin, from Remsen who is racing at the Olympics and won the World Cup.

The Depot website has a small write-up about the Pullman and future plans.

http://www.remsendepot.com/index.html
 #772357  by nydepot

Now it is. It was not when I watched it earlier. It was about a guy from Vermont who was in a very serious accident and recuperating.

Edit: Sorry, I see the original poster edited the URL so that it works now.

Charles
 #772363  by Otto Vondrak

I took a screen grab from the video. Looks like someone put a fresh coat on the roof not too long ago.
Pullman at Remsen
Pullman at Remsen
pullman_remsen.jpg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
From the Remsen Depot web site:
PULLMAN: The Depot has a acquired the 1926 Pullman sleeper, Glen Saddell. It has arrived and is on our west siding. Pictures will be posted soon. Thanks to a grant from the Utica & Mohawk Valley Chapter, NRHS, we will be able to replace the windows, make exterior repairs and paint the exterior of the car in its original "Pullman Green". Our intent is to then begin the restoration of the interior of the car. We are currently seeking funding to restore the car's nine rooms.
 #772480  by Gilbert B Norman

Wouldn't it have been nice if the NBC correspondent knew what a photo line was so that those amongst us, such as Mr. Deasy and Col. Perkowski, with their vast knowledge of the heavyweight Pullman fleet, could identify the car's configuration?
 #772586  by tree68

It got moved around Thendara for several years before going to Remsen last year. You feel like you need a tetanus shot just looking at the interior.

It's missing a coupler (north end), but I believe the brakes may actually work.
 #772603  by SST

You call that derelict? You should see the Pullman car [Anadore] off of River Rd at Lafarge near the Grand Island bridge. Now THAT is derelict! It makes this one look brand new! I had pictures of it long ago but disappeared with the old computer. It is land locked and no where near a track. Has no trucks either.
 #772703  by goodnightjohnwayne

tree68 wrote:It got moved around Thendara for several years before going to Remsen last year. You feel like you need a tetanus shot just looking at the interior.

It's missing a coupler (north end), but I believe the brakes may actually work.
I cringed when I looked at that car, even from a safe distance, standing on public property. Looking at the yellow paint inside the vestibules, which is clearly visible without trespassing, I'd say that the car saw some sort of MOW service. I would guess that it was in pretty rough shape before it was ever brought up into the Adirondacks.

A google search indicates that it was still in the Pullman fleet as late as 1950. Considering that it was an all room car, I would suspect that it originally saw service on a name train.
 #772850  by erie2937

Anadore was used by the Ground Observer Corps. You've gotta be at least in your fifties to remember that. The name is still visible inside the car, at least it was the last time I was in it, which was several years ago.
 #772872  by tree68

At Thendara it was known affectionately as "the torpedo." I don't recall why.
 #772877  by SST

by erie2937 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Anadore was used by the Ground Observer Corps. You've gotta be at least in your fifties to remember that. The name is still visible inside the car, at least it was the last time I was in it, which was several years ago.
Thanks so much for that information. For nearly 15 years I've been wondering about it and have posted on this forum and the previous version. No one seemed to know anything about it. The last time I was there, perhaps 5 years ago, the name was still visible on the outside on the north side of the car. Less weather beating.

Thanks again.
 #772898  by isaksenj

To further nydepot's posting:

Tom Madden's Pullman database is a wonderful compilation of all sorts of Pullman car information - really worth taking a look at:
http://home.att.net/~pullmanproject/

The Database has this information on Glen Saddell, a 6 Compartment, 3 Drawing Room sleeper:

Lot 4974, Plan 3523a, in-service date 8/23/26, air conditioned in 1939, sold to Darby Wood in 1967. (Whole bunch of cars that still exist were in that sale, by the way).

Underbody equipment layout:
http://home.att.net/~pullmanproject/3523A_PMB2.pdf

Coloring descriptions are interesting:
Pull. Std.; D5497 Maroon & gray (10/31/51); D6435B (1/27/55)

Color code description: http://home.att.net/~pullmanproject/Paint_Text.htm

Of course, much, much more construction information can be found in Illinois Railway Museum's Pullman Archive -- stuff that will be incredibly helpful for anyone looking to work on the car. (Lot and Plan numbers help greatly in pulling up information).